454 BBC Blazer not running well.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I have a 1973 Towanda 454 in my 75 blazer.
It's got open long tube headers, and a Carter AFB 950cfm racing carb, but otherwise stock 454. I also have a manual choke.
It's always run pretty well, with its fare share of hiccups, but last year before winter came, I covered it up and put in hibernation for a while.
So yesterday, I unwrapped it and cleaned it up, and ran it for a while to get the juices flowing.
It started okay, and idled fine at first, but then it started idling rough and died. It started up again, and I nursed it a bit, then it ran okay again. After letting it warm up for 10 or so minutes, I took it out for a few laps. After a few laps it was running better, but still not like it used to or should. I took it out around the property for some off roading, and after putting around for a while it started running worse and worse, then it wouldn't run in 1st gear, so I threw it in low, and babied it back home. It would only stay running at higher revs, would not idle.

So its symptoms are running rough, doesnt idle well right now unless with a little throttle input. It doesnt sound smooth like a V8 should. It's running on all 8 I believe, but not nicely. Its back firing alot, popping bits of flame out the exhaust. When revving it higher, it's a bit shakey.
I cant hear anything obviously wrong with it, but its super loud, so you cant hear much anyway. It runs about 60lbs of oil pressure, runs very cool.
It oil is oddly black/dark gray, but no metal whatsoever. It should be clear and golden brown like it, because I just changed the oil recently, but it isn't. And my sense of smell isnt great, but it seems to smell a bit like gas. It's also a bit thin feeling. Dont know if thats from gas, or if it's from water.
When I first got it, the oil was black as soot, and smelled like gas really bad, so I changed it, so maybe it's going back to it's old habits.

Last summer the hood blew off during a rain storm, and the engine got filled with water. I pulled the plugs, cycled it to get the water out, cleaned the plugs, changed the oil. It ran fine after that, like always. Oil did go a little gray and creamy from leftover water, so I changed it again. Once again, ran fine after that.

I suspect it might be the carburetor. I'm not good at tuning them, I just got it from my boss who said it ran well, and I threw it on ther and ran it.
And is 950 just too much carb for that engine? Might be why it backfires and makes the oil smell.
I have a nice Rochester Quadrajet that's really well tuned, super snappy throttle. The 350 it's on right now , purrs like a kitten, should I swap that on there, and see if that helps?

I really want this to run well again, and I really dont want to hurt it. Please help.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
A quadrajet tuned for a 454 would work or any equivalent. Current carb or one tuned for a 350 unlikely to run good unless retuned. But if it ran ok with the big carb before, something did degrade. See what plugs look like, and if it is just running rich carb might be an issue. Otherwise spark and compression worth checking.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
A quadrajet tuned for a 454 would work or any equivalent. Current carb or one tuned for a 350 unlikely to run good unless retuned. But if it ran ok with the big carb before, something did degrade. See what plugs look like, and if it is just running rich carb might be an issue. Otherwise spark and compression worth checking.
Just checked the plugs, they look healthy. Gap was a little small, so I opend it up to .045, but other wise good.
You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Vacuum leak via bad hose or cap?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
So I decided to drain the oil, just because it didn't look great.
Think I figured out what's wrong....
You must be registered for see images attach

Yup, that's glitter.

That fact that it's still running when I parked it, I didnt hear any noticable knocking, and I dont see any big chucks of metal, I'm hoping that its not totally wrecked and that its just a bearing on it's way out, or the cam going flat. Hopefully I can fix it it with a light rebuild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota