4 Speed manual will not shift into any gears, Engine ON or OFF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KTTM

Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I have an 1987 GMC sierra 2500 4WD with a granny gear 4 speed manual transmission. On my way home one day i lost the use of my clutch completely so i had to drive it home without clutch, found that the slave cylinder had blown a seal so I replaced the slave and got the feel of my clutch back to normal. Now the problem I'm having is that the Shifter wont go into any gears, even when the engine is off, the truck is stuck in neutral position. Any ideas on what to do about this? I am thinking that the clutch fork isn't releasing the throw out bearing but I am unsure as to whether this is my only problem. I am also having a hrd time getting the shifter away from the tranny is there a trick to this?
I'm 19 guys so go easy on me if my questions are dumb, I don't have anyone to help me with this stuff.

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Replacing any of the clutch hydraulics should not prevent the trans from shift while the engine is off. If something is not installed or bled right then it could be difficult or unable to shift while running.

Go back and recheck the installation of the slave to make sure it's right.

When bleeding the slave most people have the best success doing it with the slave off the trans and tilted to let all of the trapped air get to the bleeder screw. If you bleed it while it's mounted it's possible to stil have an air poscket trapped on the opposite end of the slave.

Since the trans worked good prior to the slave repair I would not pull the shifter as it should be fine internally (unless you hurt it driving it home without using the clutch - this is unlikely unless you were grinding each gear badly).

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Did the shifter feel sloppy before? To pull the shift lever out you push down on the metal dome at the base and twist counter clockwise. Sounds like the master cylinder to me though.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This may sound dumb, but give it a try anyway or maybe you have already. Let the truck roll forward or backward about a foot or so, then try to shift it again. Even though it's in neutral you should still get some countershaft spin from the driveshaft.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
try bleeding it again, have had some real bad times bleeding them

KTTM

Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350
you were right.. makes me feel dumb.. oh well, learning experience :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
you were right.. makes me feel dumb.. oh well, learning experience :)

Bleeding it again, or letting a roll a bit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes