4 Link coil over talk!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
can't stand any more of my rear leaf springs suspension, they are old and soft, i really want a rear 4 links cover swap!

after a long search on the web i finaly got 2 choices: a bolt on kit or weld on kit!

Best bolt on kit for my taste and need is the TCI kit for square body, its simple built (not like the more expensive QA1 or Ridetech) cheaper (on sale now for $2116) and quality is there! ;)

Best weld on kit is the Nolimit Fat bars kit for square body, look good and well build but you need to weld and have your mesuring right (i'm not a welder just buy my first welder machine so work have to be done here!) a little bit cheaper ($1600 and 20% rabais)....the only thing i don't like is "you maybe have to move your gaz tank" ;)

both choices have Ridetech coil over!

show me your rear suspension swap to give some new ideas!

TCI kit

You must be registered for see images attach

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Nolimit Fat bars kit

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nolimit Fat bars kit

This one looks to me like a much cleaner install, and there's more room for adjustment. Those big clunky axle brackets on the TCI kit seem hokey to me. But I have the same opinion of most bolt-on style kits for anything. There's almost always some big elaborate brackets somewhere to avoid welding. And on a vehicle that spends time outdoors, that's a lot of nooks and crannies to collect moisture and debris.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
both kit are pro's and con's ;) but at the end for me is having the best ride! ;)

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
finaly got my TCI kit here! now time for powder coating! :D

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Be sure to clean the frame and axle up and paint it before you final install the kit. I'm intrigued by the diagonal panhard bar. I'm used to seeing them horizontal behind the axle. by no means am I putting it down, just don't recall ever seeing that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Be sure to clean the frame and axle up and paint it before you final install the kit. I'm intrigued by the diagonal panhard bar. I'm used to seeing them horizontal behind the axle. by no means am I putting it down, just don't recall ever seeing that.

A lot of the pro street type cars were built like that, with the diagonal panhard bar.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How did I miss this thread? I had a 4 link kit from JD fab. It was like 150 at the time. I think it’s up to 500 or so now. Just need to buy the coil overs after that.
I have less than 500 bucks into my kit as I found the coilovers on CL.
Only thing I can say for sure is don’t run the bottom coilover bolt single shear. I did and it ended up badly.
I heard about the bolts breaking and thought... oh it won’t happen to me. Well it did at 3am on my way to work.
granted my bump stops are a little farther than the axle than they should be for these tires. It doesn’t change the fact that I drug my coilover to the nearest exit.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Some pics of the underside. A little dirty. After I finish the coilover front. (Weld on too)
I’ll go ahead and tear down for powder one of these days

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
same for me this kit is the only one "hot rod style" cross bar i know... but 45 years of expérience can't lie! ;) what type of paint you suggest for frame and kit will be best for durability? estimate for power coating is $600!!! this is not a show truck.....good strong industrial paint will be fine in think! ;)

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
A lot of the pro street type cars were built like that, with the diagonal panhard bar.
agree on that! all other kit is way too strong (overkill if your not do autocross every WE) for just a street use i plan..just want to get rid of those leaf style! :)

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
what type of paint you suggest for frame and kit will be best for durability? estimate for power coating is $600!!! this is not a show truck.....good strong industrial paint will be fine in think! ;)

there are a lot of paints that are good. Biggest protection IMO is prepping for the paint. I've use POR-15. It's expensive though and only used it on areas that were difficult to reach with sanding/wire wheel area.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
How did I miss this thread? I had a 4 link kit from JD fab. It was like 150 at the time. I think it’s up to 500 or so now. Just need to buy the coil overs after that.
I have less than 500 bucks into my kit as I found the coilovers on CL.
Only thing I can say for sure is don’t run the bottom coilover bolt single shear. I did and it ended up badly.
I heard about the bolts breaking and thought... oh it won’t happen to me. Well it did at 3am on my way to work.
granted my bump stops are a little farther than the axle than they should be for these tires. It doesn’t change the fact that I drug my coilover to the nearest exit.

thx for your reply...not shure i understand all of your quote (i'm french Canadian loll) but i choose this kit for bolt on aplication all ready well engenered and tested....i know this is not cheap for those Canadian like me who pay extra $$$$ in shipping and money convertion ( i have a US adress now and a good trucker friend that help me a lot) ;)

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
there are a lot of paints that are good. Biggest protection IMO is prepping for the paint. I've use POR-15. It's expensive though and only used it on areas that were difficult to reach with sanding/wire wheel area.
since this kit is all ready bare metal...a good cleaning and scotching will be fine, i was thinking spray it with epoxy primer and urethane paint! (eard good thing about imeron industrial paint too) ;)

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Now time to find the best deal on front! :D i choose QA1 for price and quality build product! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8