350 TBI won't fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Been working on my 87 350 TBI. Went to bring her in the garage today and wouldn't start. Turned over and fired, ran kinda rough and died. Cranks over perfect but won't fire, makes a little sputter ever so often, I've tried gas down in the the throttle body and won't even fire then. So I'm stumped.

The truck has the the front clip and rad and belts removed. I've only been started it, moving it in and out of my garage as it's not big enough to leave the truck in there.

She always cranked fired up everyday, never missed. I just move her around the yard and in out the garage, never runs for long cause I don't want it get hot.

But today she will crank and not fire. I've beem covering the engine with a tarp but the weather here has been horrible and wet and rain for the last week. Idk if water could be part of the issue. The injectors are spraying fuel into the throttle body to. Wondering if it could be a spark issue.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
If it wont run with gas down the tbi, then it is a spark issue.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Update. Pulled all plugs and wires and tested them. Couple plugs had a week spark and swapped them. Everything had spark and injectors were spraying fine.

No go, only sputters. Gas down the TBI, same result.

Unplugged both Injectors, cranked it, it ran for a second. Poured gas down TBI, fired right up.

So I'm assuming with the rain and wet weather the past couple days some water accumulated in the tank and got water in the gas.

Gunna drop the tank tomorrow and try fresh gas and maybe pick up 8 fresh plugs.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
could also be a CTS fault causing it to be pig rich. The engine coolant temp reading way too cold will cause the ECU to think it needs WAY more fuel than it actually does and can flood it out. The nyou poured more fuel in and flooded it even more.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
could also be a CTS fault causing it to be pig rich. The engine coolant temp reading way too cold will cause the ECU to think it needs WAY more fuel than it actually does and can flood it out. The nyou poured more fuel in and flooded it even more.

I

When I unplugged the injectors and primed it, dumped quiet a bit down the throttle body and it fired right up and idled for 10-20 seconds until I shut her off again. But I let her sit awhile and now she won't fire on the prime either.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'd check the ICM.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Sounds like coil or ICM (under the dist cap)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128