350 TBI to 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DillyTheKid85

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Hello all, I was just hoping to gain some insight on how much work it would be to convert a truck from a TBI Sbc to a 6.2 Diesel. I have a truck that was originally a 6.2 diesel, and was later converted to a 350 by the factory because the older couple that owned it wanted a gas motor instead. I would much rather have a diesel for torque and efficiency, plus they're just awesome. Has anyone ever converted a 350 to a 6.2? I've been looking at parts trucks, and the price would not be a big deal. How much labor is it? Any insight helps!
Thanks,
Dylan

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It can't be all that hard. Especially if you're going back to 6.2 from 350 TBI that was originally 6.2. Have you ever had one of these trucks with a 6.2? If you're current truck was OEM 6.2 you should already have the dual battery trays and the original under hood harness. To the best of my knowledge, you'll hook the hot ignition coil wire to the injector pump.

Do you have your 6.2 engine yet? If not, how about finding a Turbo 6.5 set up from a later model truck? Alot of guys do that to upgrade their 6.2. They'll find a turbo set up off of a 6.5. Just look around for a 6.5 Turbo set up. Going further, if you're going to run and auto Trans, look for a 6.5 Turbo in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and get the 4L80-E transmission with the stand alone Trans controller. This way you can run 4.10 or 4.56 gears with alot of bottom end torque and still be able to keep the RPMs down on the freeway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito