350 OEM swap to a 454 HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Willey

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
TBD
Im going to be buying a 454 HO and a manual trans to put in my K10 and i was wondering are there any recomendations for upgrades to do to the engine before putting it in my truck, and whats a good carb to put on it? I plan on using it for semi-daily and a offroader. and any overall recomendations to upgrade on the truck itself?

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
The 454 isn't going to make fuel or fuel economy so I'd feed it with a healthy carb. If it's the GM 454HO then it should be good for about 500HP. I love Q-jets for daily drivers and off-roading. They are not as sensitive to whoopties and vertical situations like Carter and Holley carbs are. Welcome to the site and show some pics; I've found out this crowd loves those.

Strickland

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes, a q jet has the best combination of fuel economy, drivability and CFM but as previously stated a BB will like fuel. Need to have someone who is familiar with them to get the fuel trim correct.

I would add an O2 sensor to the gauge package no matter what carb you decide on. Most carbs out of the box are too rich.

Justin Willey

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
TBD
The 454 isn't going to make fuel or fuel economy so I'd feed it with a healthy carb. If it's the GM 454HO then it should be good for about 500HP. I love Q-jets for daily drivers and off-roading. They are not as sensitive to whoopties and vertical situations like Carter and Holley carbs are. Welcome to the site and show some pics; I've found out this crowd loves those.

Strickland
Thanks for the Info

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size
If you have some room In the budget a Holley sniper efi kit would be great for a hungry big block. Orrrrrrrrrr you could LS swap it and have great power and decent fuel economy in a smaller package. You could still run your trans of choice as well with either route you choose

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg