305 to 454 swap: which headers???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue85

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I’ve got a 1985 K10 with a 700r4. Dropping a 1972 mark iv in it, and looking for who has used what brand/model number headers that will fit and clear the trans?

Looked around the forums and didn’t see exactly what I need…hard to find any info on fitment for a 4wd.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’ve used Hedman long tubes and Sanderson shortys with no issues. The long tubes hang a little low and are very close to the shackles but no actual problems.

BigBlue85

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I’ve used Hedman long tubes and Sanderson shortys with no issues. The long tubes hang a little low and are very close to the shackles but no actual problems.
Ok thanks. I’ve got plenty of clearance from the ground. Is there any difference in the sound between the two? I would think the shorter ones would be harder to work on if the joint started leaking.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yeah, ground clearance isn't the issue it's how close the collectors are to the shackle bolts. The two are so close I had to run the bolt pointing from the inside out to minimize how much it stuck out, with the nut on the inside the end of the bolt would have rubbed the header.

Another issue I've had with long tubes is how close the collector is to the tcase crossmember. The collector (both Hedman and a cheap brand I can't remember) ends up being about 6" from the crossmember so it's tough to make the turn up and over that fast cleanly.

With respect to sound, I've never run the exact same exhaust on both types so my sound comparison is only with open headers and they are different. The long tubes, of course, sound great where the shortys had more of a manifold type sound.

I had always run long tubes on my trucks and I got tired of having to pull the exhaust for trans or clutch work so I went with the shortys and 3" single exhaust on my Blazer to get everything out of the way, a little quieter and keep it high / tight. The shorty collectors are still very easily accessible. I've read many times of people having to modify things because of interference or improper fit, my advice is if they don't readily bolt up you've bought the wrong headers. My Sanderson's fit perfectly with no interference with the frame, motor mount support bars or the clutch slave cylinder.

There's lots of arguments about power and long vs short headers but, for me, ease of access / work has value and I figured if they robbed power I just needed to build a little more in to the motor. lol

One thing I will recommend, if you even THINK you want them ceramic coated buy them like that up front. I bought mine bare to save money but they were so nice I decided to have them coated by Jet Hot, now there are small spots peeling so I need to contact them about a warranty recoat.

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Great info John ! I'm also in the header Delima ugh ! I ended up going with the BB-8's because no other manufacturer could guarantee fitment of their long tubes, very aggravating ! With my motor being a 572 I wish the Sandersons were at least 2" tubes but I'm left with no other choices, I'm doing a Mandrel bent 3" true dual system H pipe and series 44 Flowmasters so I'm sure I'll be fine.... Oh and I did order my Sandersons ceramic coated just had to wait a while to get them....

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I just went through this with my 82 with 454 and 700r4 2wd shortbed. I also have 2 inch primarys. I looked everywhere for a set. The hooker lt headers 7525hkr that fit the truck have been discontinued. Just my luck. The headman 2 inch primarys will not fit the truck. The headman 1.75 primarys fit the truck bbutnot to motor. So I had the shop weld the 2 inch flange from the old wore out headers to the 1.75 headman headers. I mean I looked and called everyone to try and find some with no luck.

Almost switched to heads with smaller primarys because they are for more sets that will fit the truck. Good luck finding some to fit. I had none. Lol

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Jeez what a hassle ! I guess I need to now make sure my BB-8's match up to my AFR heads ugh I'm up ***** creek if they don't !!!! Like I said totally aggravating ! WTF is the issue producing a 2" or 2.25" primary header for a 4x4 body style that was produced for 7 years !!!???

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
Super spendy but i read that lemons headers will fit and have larger primary tubes

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Chevelle/Nova headers fit and they tend to be available with larger primaries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL