305-400 SBC swap - Radiator Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxSam

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys! Lurker here, but in the middle of a 305 to 400 sbc swap in and '83 K10. The stock radiator has some small leaks so we decided to get them addressed while swapping. Local shop wants $190 to unsolder one of the tanks(where the leak is)and rod it out and resolder. It's a brass/copper unit so it's decent quality. My question is would it be better to get a new, all-aluminum unit instead of sinking the $190 into this unit. I'm a little concerned about cooling capacity since we are jumping up to the 400. It has aluminum heads with steam holes drilled. What do you guys think?

On Edit: Other than daily driving, we won't be doing any towing and only light off-roading.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
You can never have to much cooling with a 400, that being said I would be tempted to look at larger radiators than what came with the 305.

TxSam

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the input! Going to try to decide something today.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I don't know...but I feel an original copper/brass unit will have a better cooling potential than a bigger aluminum unit and think that may be a wash , in reality.
Sounds like a big pain in the ass for nothin , to me.
Again, I don't know, but those were some of my thoughts regarding.
Based upon your description of the intended use, I do not believe that a fresh 400 has any greater need for improved cooling than a 305 would..did the old engine used to run hot in the truck or no?
Did 400s ever come factory equipped with larger radiators than 305s?

See where i'm headed with all this?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Get a Flowmaster water pump.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I don't know...but I feel an original copper/brass unit will have a better cooling potential than a bigger aluminum unit and think that may be a wash , in reality.
Based upon your description of the intended use, I do not believe that a fresh 400 has any greater need for improved cooling than a 305 would..did the old engine used to run hot in the truck or no?

See where i'm headed with all this?

That depends on how it is built, the stock radiator in my 79 vette couldnt handle the 406 in it before I got it. The PO changed it out to a brass 4 core and it still overheated on him. Since buying the car I have swapped to a core alum radiator and it is better but still not right.

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
I to

I totally agree. As long as you can keep the brass aluminum rad I would.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I used a Jegs Champion 3 row aluminum in my truck and have been very impressed by its cooling capacity. My stock 3 row was okay, but there were a few time the temps got up to the 215+ range when running A/C in traffic. With the new aluminum radiator I've never seen it above about 200, even when idling with the A/C on.

I'm also using a Stewart Stage One high flow water pump and 195 degree high flow thermostat. I have a stock steel fan, shroud, and HD fan clutch. The overall temps are incredibly stable under all conditions.

I replaced the old radiator because I accidently punched a hole in it, but it turned out that the aluminum was great upgrade.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1