3/5 Drop guidance needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So from what I've collected based on researching different ways to drop my C10, I think I'm going to go with

- McGaughys 3" drop spindles up front
- DJM Flip Kit in the back (with shock extenders)
- Going to use stock coils with 1 coil cut off for another inch up front

Few questions.d

1. Would you get different spindles or flip kit?
2. Recommendation on shocks?
3. Should I C Notch?
4. When tearing all the suspsion up, is there any bushings or anything that I should go ahead and swap out?
5. Do I need to do anything with bump stops?

This was a very neglected C10, so everything is in pretty rough shape, so I'm trying to do this right the first time. It will be my daily driver too.

Thanks guys.

Paint guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
First off, if you are looking for a 3/5 drop, why would you get 3" spindles and also cut a coil? You will end up with a much deeper drop then 3" up front.

Having said that...

1, Those are good choices on spindles and flip kit.
2, I bought Bell Tech drop shocks I found listed on Ebay.
3, Yes I would C notch. If you never plan to use the bed then not needed, but if you haul anything you will be glad you did.
4, When I had mine apart I took the time to replace all bushings, ball joints etc. These are now at a minimum 33 year old trucks. Unless they were done in the last decade I would do it while the truck is apart. There will never be a easier time to do it. Do it now or regret it.
5, On my truck I bought all new stuff and when I sent it to alignment they showed me where it was sitting right on the front bump stops. So they took them out and trimmed them for me. I never noticed it because I never looked at that on the ground, and when on jack stands the suspension hung and it didn't show.

Best of luck to you.

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
First off, if you are looking for a 3/5 drop, why would you get 3" spindles and also cut a coil? You will end up with a much deeper drop then 3" up front.

Having said that...

1, Those are good choices on spindles and flip kit.
2, I bought Bell Tech drop shocks I found listed on Ebay.
3, Yes I would C notch. If you never plan to use the bed then not needed, but if you haul anything you will be glad you did.
4, When I had mine apart I took the time to replace all bushings, ball joints etc. These are now at a minimum 33 year old trucks. Unless they were done in the last decade I would do it while the truck is apart. There will never be a easier time to do it. Do it now or regret it.
5, On my truck I bought all new stuff and when I sent it to alignment they showed me where it was sitting right on the front bump stops. So they took them out and trimmed them for me. I never noticed it because I never looked at that on the ground, and when on jack stands the suspension hung and it didn't show.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for all the advice. Question on the CNotch, because I will definitely be hauling stuff in the bed, is all CNotch kits created equal, or is there one particular to go for? I was looking at the DJM one.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
1) I used the McGaughys 2.5" drop spindles on mine and with 15" wheel they rub the balancing weights, I'm sure the 3" will be worse.
2) You may not (probably won't) need the dropped shocks since you really aren't changing the front end geometry.
3) As far as c-notch, I did the flip and have 5.5" between the frame and axle. It is for my daughter and I know she won't be putting anything of weight back there so we did not notch it.
4) I agree, replace the ball joints and suspension bushings front and rear. Nothing like getting it all together and having to pull it apart because one has too much play.
5) The upper stops shouldn't be an issue since you're cutting a aping but you will be closer to the bottom so a slight trim as mentioned would be good.

Pics or it didn't happen!!!

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
1) I used the McGaughys 2.5" drop spindles on mine and with 15" wheel they rub the balancing weights, I'm sure the 3" will be worse.
2) You may not (probably won't) need the dropped shocks since you really aren't changing the front end geometry.
3) As far as c-notch, I did the flip and have 5.5" between the frame and axle. It is for my daughter and I know she won't be putting anything of weight back there so we did not notch it.
4) I agree, replace the ball joints and suspension bushings front and rear. Nothing like getting it all together and having to pull it apart because one has too much play.
5) The upper stops shouldn't be an issue since you're cutting a aping but you will be closer to the bottom so a slight trim as mentioned would be good.

I don't know why I said 3" drop spindles. They are 2.5" drop spindles. I'm going with the stock 15" rallies. Is there anything I can do to prevent rubbing?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Look at the CPP modular spindle. It's been on the market for 5-10 years now. It has a drum brake offset to suck the wheels in and help with rubbing. If you plan on running 20"+ wheels, I'd look at their x10 spindle that uses a bigger bearing.

I would definitely rebuild the control arms, however for $100-200 more, you could use CPP control arms that are ready to go and fix some of the caster/ camber issues you will face with a lowered truck.

If money not an option and spending $1500 on control arms is ok, I would have arms made by various shops that are 1" shorter, 1" rearward and vastly improve handling as well.

C-Notches will cause you to lose a lot of strength in the frame. Unless you buy one that actually wraps/ pinches the frame. Built X Brooks and Porterbuilt are the only 2 that I know of that don't weaken the frame.

If you look at my sons build, I have utilized some of the above referenced items. While our budget may be a bit more than some, I don't think I crossed the line to unaffordable and I only wanted to do it once. If I was building the truck for myself and not my 16yo son, I would have done a lot more.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I don't know why I said 3" drop spindles. They are 2.5" drop spindles. I'm going with the stock 15" rallies. Is there anything I can do to prevent rubbing?

A small spacer would work but I 'm not a fan of just spacers unless they are hub centric. Then you would probably need slightly longer lug studs.
Unless I am not understanding what Bennyt is saying about the CCP spindle sucking the wheel in, this would just make it hit the spindle are more.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350

What kind of stance did you have with the 2.5"/5.5" drop? Any pics? Was looking into this myself. Will follow this thread to get some info.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
What kind of stance did you have with the 2.5"/5.5" drop? Any pics? Was looking into this myself. Will follow this thread to get some info.
No pics yet. The body still isn't on the frame so you wouldn't be able to tell much. As soon as i get it done I will post up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL