2wd vs 4wd exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I dsaw a dual exhaust on FB marketplace for a square and a 350.. but the listing says for 2wd. just checking in here, is that a thing? Would this come in conflict with my 4x4?

You must be registered for see images attach

Markmx6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 dually
Engine Size
I don't believe it would be an issue for manifolds. I know for headers the 2wd will slope back at a steeper angle so that they don't come in contact with the control arms.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It just depends on how the pipes were bent. It's not even a guarantee that it fits all 2wd's, as it depends on the crossmember style and where the pipes land. It may fit some 4x4's too, again depending on the crossmember style and where the pipes land, along with clearance for whichever t-case is installed.

In short, you only know for sure if you buy them and try them out.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
With a stock crossmember under the transfer case there is a lot smaller space for the exhaust pipe on one side, so 2WD pipes may not fit. I believe factory duals (not a common option) had a W shaped crossmember with space for pipes on both sides.

Since everyone seems to want duals, I’ve always wondered why nobody seems to make a modified squarebody crossmember with space for dual pipes. Summit has them for several 60’s cars, but not for 4WD trucks.

Bruce

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
With a stock crossmember under the transfer case there is a lot smaller space for the exhaust pipe on one side, so 2WD pipes may not fit. I believe factory duals (not a common option) had a W shaped crossmember with space for pipes on both sides.

Since everyone seems to want duals, I’ve always wondered why nobody seems to make a modified squarebody crossmember with space for dual pipes. Summit has them for several 60’s cars, but not for 4WD trucks.

Bruce
Perhaps because guys who lower(esp. needed) and trick out trucks typically have 2wd maybe?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Bruce

The "W" crossmember was '85-'86 only and was all 4x4's in those years.

2wd's had two different crossmembers, one for dual exhaust or single exhaust (without converter), and one that was used with single exhaust and a converter.

Again, it just depends on exactly where that exhaust guy put the bends. It may happen to clear several combinations, or it may only fit a 2wd with a specific crossmember.

It also may or may not have interference with clutch linkages or shift linkages if auto. Just too many variables so say without trying.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The "W" crossmember was '85-'86 only and was all 4x4's in those years.

2wd's had two different crossmembers, one for dual exhaust or single exhaust (without converter), and one that was used with single exhaust and a converter.

Again, it just depends on exactly where that exhaust guy put the bends. It may happen to clear several combinations, or it may only fit a 2wd with a specific crossmember.

It also may or may not have interference with clutch linkages or shift linkages if auto. Just too many variables so say without trying.
Oh shoot, didnt think about clutch. Yeah, its definitely going to interfere with my linkage. I saw a photo of it in his old truck, he was a lowered square. So where my exhaust snakes around the linkage his would go right passed. Still good pipes i could use post-linkage but thanks for the input

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was just browsing eBay a few weeks ago and couldn't believe what it looked like people were getting for a set of factory SBC manifolds. May be worth it just for them and those resonators or glasspacks or whatever those are?

Biggnate81

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was just browsing eBay a few weeks ago and couldn't believe what it looked like people were getting for a set of factory SBC manifolds. May be worth it just for them and those resonators or glasspacks or whatever those are?

I can't beleive I just hauled my manifolds off to the scrap yard because I thought they were worthless I didn't even think about selling them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg