2nd gear changes how the truck runs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler Wiersma

Reaction score
First Name
Twiers
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7-ish
Hello, first post but definitely have been using this site as a crutch for my build. Had a 350 sent off to the shop and completely rebuilt, only thing original is the block. Ran it on the dyno and it was great, got it into the truck and drove it ok for a few weeks (minor tuning), then one day when I shifted into second gear it started chugging. Idles fine and comes up through first gear beautifully. Second gear it power surges and chugs, i had to ride the clutch just to keep it running and crawl home in first where it ran completely fine. I checked plug gaps, timing, pulled the distributor and that looked fine (also brand new), I assume the carb is tuned fine since it runs fine in other gears. 2nd gear makes the whole truck lose its mind. Anyone know what might be the issue here? 3speed w/granny gear. Any help appreciated!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Hello, first post but definitely have been using this site as a crutch for my build. Had a 350 sent off to the shop and completely rebuilt, only thing original is the block. Ran it on the dyno and it was great, got it into the truck and drove it ok for a few weeks (minor tuning), then one day when I shifted into second gear it started chugging. Idles fine and comes up through first gear beautifully. Second gear it power surges and chugs, i had to ride the clutch just to keep it running and crawl home in first where it ran completely fine. I checked plug gaps, timing, pulled the distributor and that looked fine (also brand new), I assume the carb is tuned fine since it runs fine in other gears. 2nd gear makes the whole truck lose its mind. Anyone know what might be the issue here? 3speed w/granny gear. Any help appreciated!

Does this truck have electronic spark control? My '82 had this ESC with an add on harness. The extra length of the harness just laid on top of the bell housing. The split loom fell away and the wires rubbed through. Since you said this is only in second gear, maybe an issue with the wires and shifter?

Tyler Wiersma

Reaction score
First Name
Twiers
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7-ish
That’s a good point, I didn’t think to check that as it had a crate 350 in it but it did originally have a 305 and those did come stock. Thanks!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I had a truck once that cut out/off almost every time I put the clutch in, and I thought it was a throttle or idle issue.

Turned out to be the signal wire running to my aftermarket tach was laying on top of the clutch pedal arm under the dash. When I pushed the clutch in it caught the wire and grounded the tach lead - no ignition!

Bruce

Tyler Wiersma

Reaction score
First Name
Twiers
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7-ish
Went high and to the right with it and put in a whole new harness (original one was very messy anyway). Runs like a champ but 2nd gear jingles like there’s change in it at low rpm, oh well that’s for another day ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406