2002 Subaru Forester

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Hi everyone, this is my second project vehicle. Picked this up back in September for $700 and it's gonna take the role as a daily driver since ol Cherry is racking up over 222,000 miles on the worn out TBI and draining my wallet in gas. This car has absolutely no rust, it runs and drives great, it's been garage kept and cleaned meticulously by the PO. You wouldn't even know it has the same amount of miles on ol Cherry.
You must be registered for see images attach

... but what fun would a car be to have without a little bit of work to do on it...

Yeah it needs a little work. over 200k on these boxer engines with no work done previously means bad news. Head gaskets. And lucky for me, the block is on it's way out too. Blowby, just starting to knock, uses oil. So what does this mean for me? I get to completely overhaul the engine.

The plan:
-pull the engine
-tear the engine down
-send the heads to be fully machined
-buy a brand new short block
-put it all back together with mls head gaskets and some minor performance parts

This car will be a reliable, safe, efficient daily driver for me to and from college and starting my young adult life

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Here's some pictures of the day I got it. It had bad brakes when I got it so I put all new pads, rotors and a new caliper on, flushed and bled all the lines. i also restored the headlights and thoroughly cleaned and detailed it when it came home

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
And here's how she sets today. Got the engine stripped down and ready for removal

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm looking to keep mine all stock except a few minor mods to the engine while it's apart

I just don't consider the headgaskets a consumable. That's what kept me away. I like the look of some of them.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I just don't consider the headgaskets a consumable. That's what kept me away. I like the look of some of them.
Head gaskets on those are pretty easy though. If you catch it quick, you can loosen the head bolts and slide the old out and the new in, then just tighten up the bolts. You don't have to fully pull the heads unless you suspect warpage or other issues.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Head gaskets on those are pretty easy though. If you catch it quick, you can loosen the head bolts and slide the old out and the new in, then just tighten up the bolts. You don't have to fully pull the heads unless you suspect warpage or other issues.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg