2001 silverado project. well, its gonna be a LS1 now, 500hp N/A dreams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
I got one hell of a dead on a 2001 Silverado, short wheel base 2wd. I am building a wicked little 4.8 for it, I need the wiring diagrams for the truck.... I really want to run holley EFI and ditch all the factory ECU stuff, stock computer and harness mainly, but I want all of the factory accessories to work. If I had a diagram I could easily see what to take out and leave to make this bad boy work. Any of you guys have wiring schematics for these truck around?

You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
The link below is for a swap into a non LS vehicle but all of the PCM pinouts are shown so you should be able to work backwards from there. I'm not sure the PCM interacts with the BCM and how your accessories work from there.

http://lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm

Was thing a wreck or missing wiring and such or is going to be a hi power build? Not trying to talk down your idea but just wondering why you wouldn't go with stock wiring and controls using a custom tune.

This guy put an L31 in a cat eye silverado. Read through his threads, there may be something about using stock accessories.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f79/my-silverado-engine-swap-coming-soon-94409/

Sweet wheels on that truck too, looks nice.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I also question why get rid of the factory harness and pcm?

And I also agree that those late model wheels look great on it!

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
The link below is for a swap into a non LS vehicle but all of the PCM pinouts are shown so you should be able to work backwards from there. I'm not sure the PCM interacts with the BCM and how your accessories work from there.

http://lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm

Was thing a wreck or missing wiring and such or is going to be a hi power build? Not trying to talk down your idea but just wondering why you wouldn't go with stock wiring and controls using a custom tune.

This guy put an L31 in a cat eye silverado. Read through his threads, there may be something about using stock accessories.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f79/my-silverado-engine-swap-coming-soon-94409/

Sweet wheels on that truck too, looks nice.
I also question why get rid of the factory harness and pcm?

And I also agree that those late model wheels look great on it!

Thank you, these wheels were on the truck when I got it as a roller. the little 4.8 I have built just has some port work on the heads, LS6 cam/springs, ls6 timing chain, intake, 90mm throttle body and full length headers with exhaust. I'm hoping for around 320ish hp, I just have easy access to holley EFI and I am very familiar with that system. I have never messed with HP tuners so id be lost and I really would hate to pay a shop to do a tune and then never have access to said tune if I upgrade In the future, I have another LS motor I want to build for the truck, I'm just in to the 4.8 super cheap as well as the truck as a whole. I haven't been able to find a lot of explanation on what the BCM is looking for from the factory ECU, if its a simple as it needs 12V to operate then I'm golden, because i know the factory PCM will work without the body control module, just not sure vice versa.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I get ya. I guess a full wiring diagram would be much more helpful. As a side note, Frost offers custom tuning that includes free updates for 90s after the initial tune. When it comes to time and money that would be the cheapest and quickest way to get the thing running again. I hear nothing but good things about him and thats where I'm sending my PCM for tuning once the engine is wired up and ready to fire.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
I get ya. I guess a full wiring diagram would be much more helpful. As a side note, Frost offers custom tuning that includes free updates for 90s after the initial tune. When it comes to time and money that would be the cheapest and quickest way to get the thing running again. I hear nothing but good things about him and thats where I'm sending my PCM for tuning once the engine is wired up and ready to fire.

I have a month to get the truck together and running, wants to have it ready for LS fest.... seeing how I'm working the Holley booth that weekend it only seem right I need to have my LS truck going lol

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Ditch all the facory BS wiring trough the BCM crap and wire it with a universal style harness to handle the rest of the truck minus the engine and gauges? I think you can make those work as a standalone type deal.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
Ditch all the facory BS wiring trough the BCM crap and wire it with a universal style harness to handle the rest of the truck minus the engine and gauges? I think you can make those work as a standalone type deal.

Id like to, I know I can have the truck running and driving without any of the stock GM components, I deal with LS swap components and harnesses daily. just don't know how to have all the interior accessories working separate from stock ECM. If I can find something that says the BCM is a separate system entirely it will be easy as pie.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
Got her home.... for a $600 truck I'm not disappointed but man, poor thing has been hacked on hard.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
My 4.8, going to run a LS6 cam, LS6 springs and timing chain. Have a aftermarket intake and 92mm throttle body, should run good. And a stack of goodies.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That’ll be a nice little motor. I’d buy that thing for $600 all day long just to tinker with it.

You’ve used the Holley sniper quite a bit?

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
That’ll be a nice little motor. I’d buy that thing for $600 all day long just to tinker with it.

You’ve used the Holley sniper quite a bit?

I have been around sniper a lot, I used to do tech service for Holley. Sniper is great if you are just wanting better reliability out of say a little small block, easy to start, runs good, self tunes. If you want more performance go with terminator, terminator has endless options to upgrade in the future. The box that is labeled sniper in my picture is a intake.

Last edited:

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
Truck just needs love, I'm going to put new rocker panels in it they are pretty much gone. I've got to find a good core support out of a junkyard truck, they hacked on this one pretty hard to clear turbo stuff. Just odds and ends, undoing the rush LS job it had.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have been around sniper a lot, I used to do tech service for Holley. Sniper is great if you are just wanting better reliability out of say a little small block, easy to start, runs good, self tunes. If you want more performance go with terminator, terminator has endless options to upgrade in the future. The box that is labeled sniper in my picture is a intake.
I already have a sniper efi and Holley dual sync for a crate L31-r. I’ll be installing both at the same time. They suggest starting with the fuel first then the distributor for easier troubleshooting. I don’t have another distributor that is compatible with my cam gear to do so. Since everything on my setup will be new, I shouldn’t have any vacuum or electrical gremlins to work out. You think it’s really that big of a deal, or should it be good to go?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I already have a sniper efi and Holley dual sync for a crate L31-r. I’ll be installing both at the same time. They suggest starting with the fuel first then the distributor for easier troubleshooting. I don’t have another distributor that is compatible with my cam gear to do so. Since everything on my setup will be new, I shouldn’t have any vacuum or electrical gremlins to work out. You think it’s really that big of a deal, or should it be good to go?

Prime the oil system right before you install the distributor and be ready to start it shortly after that. I think you'll be ok as long as you follow all the directions in the manuals. Mine fired right up both times I put the dual sync in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400