20" Rims - Drum Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SL87Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Starting to look into getting some rims for the 87. I'm looking to go 20", would it be wise to upgrade the drum brakes to disc brakes? Or does it not matter for stopping performance?

John Lenahan

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just depends how big of 20's you're planning on running (1/2 ton it looks like?) you shouldn't have to change anything if you stay somewhat close to a factory size tire.

The bigger the wheel/tire the more rotational inertia/mass it has, the more stress it puts on parts, so if you live the lifted squarebody life you know all about that good stuff.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Are you gonna buy matching wheels for those rims or?? Lots of kids were rolling the black wheel with the machined rim thinkin THAT was cool.

I always buy wheels that already have the matching rims installed...maybe you should talk to @legopnuematic about rims on your wheels. He posted about it yesterday but he called it "banding".

:rolleyes:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Are you gonna buy matching wheels for those rims or?? Lots of kids were rolling the black wheel with the machined rim thinkin THAT was cool.

I always buy wheels that already have the matching rims installed...maybe you should talk to @legopnuematic about rims on your wheels. He posted about it yesterday but he called it "banding".

Excellent point.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins

Banding is cutting the wheel shell in half and welding a band in to widen the wheel. No change in the diameter, just width. Same with reshelling, the width changes but the diameter remains the same. Done by dirt trackers and hotrodders for years. From what I can see the OP wants to go bigger in diameter which has no relation to banding.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL