2 wiper motor pump symptoms….what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tadkingnkc

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 5.0
No difference between Hi and Low setting on wiper speed but motor does function. No wiper fluid pumping. Since the pump is part of the motor assembly, would you just replace it and hope both issues resolve? I hear wai is better than the cardone for replacement purposes…….

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Do you have delay?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Switch on dash or column? There must be a way to determine bad pump or bad Switch.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
It's going to be hard for me to explain for some reason because my brain is going to be functioning very well right now. The little metal post that goes on the column has splines on it that the plastic housing that has the wiper controls on it splines on to. Well that plastic pice crackes inside and the outside part spins on the metal post that goes into the switch on the column. Then you can't control the wipers right. So you need to replace the lever. That's what happened to me, might not be your problem though

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
No difference between Hi and Low setting on wiper speed but motor does function. No wiper fluid pumping. Since the pump is part of the motor assembly, would you just replace it and hope both issues resolve? I hear wai is better than the cardone for replacement purposes…….
I would check for power at the washer terminals when the wash button is pressed. If it has power and you want your washer to work replace the motor and see where you are at.

Yes get a new WAI. If you can't get one locally order one online.

If you haven't seen these threads yet check them out.
Motor rebuild: Linkage rebuild: https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/rebuilding-wiper-linkage-how-to.35509/

tadkingnkc

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Update, still have an issue. Purchase the new WAI motor assembly. Good new is washer pump works. Bad news is washer pump sprays in any cycle of the wipers and park position is 12 o clock instead of 3 o clock. What the actual f?! Intermittent works, hi now works, low works. Issue I wanted to fix, no pump, now works fine. So I say all electrical seems to be operating normally, except pump signal maybe. But the pump isn’t supposed to pump every time the wipers cycle and the park position is wrong By being opposite of how it should be. Help, anyone? I mean I unbolted a 40 year old part and spent extra for the new, non reman WAI! 1 step forward, 2 steps back it seems. Frustrating.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Update, still have an issue. Purchase the new WAI motor assembly. Good new is washer pump works. Bad news is washer pump sprays in any cycle of the wipers and park position is 12 o clock instead of 3 o clock. What the actual f?! Intermittent works, hi now works, low works. Issue I wanted to fix, no pump, now works fine. So I say all electrical seems to be operating normally, except pump signal maybe. But the pump isn’t supposed to pump every time the wipers cycle and the park position is wrong By being opposite of how it should be. Help, anyone? I mean I unbolted a 40 year old part and spent extra for the new, non reman WAI! 1 step forward, 2 steps back it seems. Frustrating.
Yes, frustrating. Sorry your still having trouble. Check your linkage where it bolts to the wiper motor and make sure you didn't get it put on in the wrong position. If that is good then you got a defective motor. I will say on that note we have probably installed nearly 50 of the old GM wiper motors that WIA produces and we have never had bad unit, and never had to have one warrantied, but that doesn't mean a bad unit isn't possible. Check the linkage and go from there....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400