1990 Suburban 350 TBI Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
The fuel pump (in tank ) has failed at about 170,000 miles and am going to replace. Many options out there. Any brands that are truly ahead of the rest in function and reliability out of the box? Any in particular to stay away from ? Thanks for the input.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Avoid Airtex like the plague. Delphi and AC Delco have their versions on the market, but I tried the Spectra assembly, and I’ve been happy with it, no problems from either pump or sender. I installed it two years ago. Just doing the pump, it might be best to do AC Delco, and that’s probably what I’d do if I’m not pinching pennies. I’m starting to feel like the Delco name isn’t what it used to be because some of their stuff I’ve bought over the past few years didn’t hold up like it should have. I know the Delphi mechanical pumps but can’t speak to their electric models.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Used a Delphi in my 02 4.3 C1500 SWB. Best price with a lifetime warranty from NAPA

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I too have used the Delphi pump in an '88 half ton. I have no complaints. Worked perfectly the last 3-4 years that I had that truck.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB from Virginia

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
if you have any plans to increase performance use a delco/delphi pump from a tpi camaro or 96+ vortec truck.

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
Thanks for the help. Assuming the fuel guage is working, is replacing just the pump and sleeve a good option ? or is it best to replace the entire assembly. I am thinking that there are likely things that will help determine that when the assembly is pulled ?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
At the very least, replace the strainer sock if you don’t buy a whole new assembly. If this is a vehicle that’s been driven it’s whole life, it’ll look alright, but the level sender will eventually succumb to wear and tear. If it sat for any protracted period of time, it won’t look so good, and when that happens, I say it’s best to roll the dice and replace everything (even the tank if it’s full of rust and/or the baffling is crumbling).

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
The fuel pump (in tank ) has failed at about 170,000 miles and am going to replace. Many options out there. Any brands that are truly ahead of the rest in function and reliability out of the box? Any in particular to stay away from ? Thanks for the input.
Buy a Delphi from Napa. Stay away from AC/Delco fuel pumps they have crappy quality control. Delphi is a better made pump even though it is also made in China like the AC/Delco pumps. I put a Delphi in my 87 V-20's d/s tank going on a year ago and it is working great. Don't forget to replace your fuel filter too.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
At the very least, replace the strainer sock if you don’t buy a whole new assembly. If this is a vehicle that’s been driven it’s whole life, it’ll look alright, but the level sender will eventually succumb to wear and tear. If it sat for any protracted period of time, it won’t look so good, and when that happens, I say it’s best to roll the dice and replace everything (even the tank if it’s full of rust and/or the baffling is crumbling).
I replaced everything on my 87 V-20's d/s tank including the fuel lines. I only want to take the bed loose once.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Definitely. I have a drop hitch and shield to fight but still. No thanks. Good to know the Delphi is working for you. The Spectra has also done impressively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL