1990 serpentine setup in my 1986

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Well, I finally found a serpentine system I wanted for a long time now. I found a 1990 C1500 at the wrecker yard, and I pulled the serpentine setup off of it. I Got the whole thing with all the accessories for $150. The reason I went with the 1990, is because it has provision for the smog pump, which I have to have in my 86 to pass emissions. I have done some research online about it, but I still have some questions about doing the conversion.
I already have the TBI heads on my 86, so I don't think the bolt on will be an issue. I have all the accessories off the 1990(power steering pump, a/c compressor, alternator, water pump, clutch and fan, water pump pulley and balancer pulley), except for the smog pump, and I got to have it in AZ. My question is, can I use the smog pump that's currently on my 86? will it work? I also already have a CS-130 alternator in my truck with the wiring adaptor, Will I be able to use it? I'm sure Ill have more questions for you guys as I get started on this conversion, so any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You will definitely need the pulley for the smog pump however, I am not sure it will work with those brackets. If not, you will need to find a CA truck with a 4.3 or SBC or any car with a V8 for the pump.

You will have to take the idler off and get a different belt as well as I believe the smog belt is longer.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
You will definitely need the pulley for the smog pump however, I am not sure it will work with those brackets. If not, you will need to find a CA truck with a 4.3 or SBC or any car with a V8 for the pump.

You will have to take the idler off and get a different belt as well as I believe the smog belt is longer.

I while back, I had a serpentine setup up off a 1989 C3500 454 engine, and it had a smog pump, and I remeber it was very similar to one I currently have on my 86, except for the pulley and the valve had a couple wires going to it. Was wondering if maybe that one would work out.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I've been doing some research on the conversion. It seems that the passenger side lower bracket(smog pump area) will have to be trimmed, to clear the mechanical fuel pump. There's a lot of info on the conversion, but minimal info on the trimming of the bracket. Does anybody have any info on this?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I finally got everything together and cleaned up. I'm gonna start the conversion tomorrow morning. I guess I'll be the first to do a documented detailed conversion while retaining the smog pump. I've read many write-ups on this project, but none with smog.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
really? I've had one for sale on here for awhile just like hat ya got. I would have let it go for less.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
really? I've had one for sale on here for awhile just like hat ya got. I would have let it go for less.

I figured it was a pretty good deal, being that I got all the accessories and ac lines, clutch fan etc, water pump etc.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
only thing wrong with mine is the ac compressor unknown condition and the alt. is shot. I have the belt water pump fan tensioner, brackets all of it even ps pump if someone wanted. I've had it for awhile nobody wants the setup i guess.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
only thing wrong with mine is the ac compressor unknown condition and the alt. is shot. I have the belt water pump fan tensioner, brackets all of it even ps pump if someone wanted. I've had it for awhile nobody wants the setup i guess.

Its probably because the non smog or vortec serpentine set ups are the more desirable of the bunch. I had no choice in the matter, Arizona emissions suck.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
mines non smog there's no air pump at all for mine it's just like the one you have

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
mines non smog there's no air pump at all for mine it's just like the one you have
The setup I have has a provision for a smog pump under the ac compressor.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
mine has none

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I will be using my existing smog pump, just changing out the pulley. I didn't meant to cause confusion. The set up I have didn't come with a smog pump, but it does have provisions for it.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I'm thinking about how to reroute the fuel line, from the pump to carb, because I'm seeing that it runs right where the pass side bracket goes on.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Well, I got some progress done today, it is going a lot smoother than expected. I was able to use my existing steerling hoses with a little tweaking, I was able to fit in my existing R4 compressor with the same lines, just gotta swap out the pulleys. Anybody know anything about that, and can help me out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes