1990 700R4 front pump rotor surface wear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
Greetings square body owners! Here is an interesting find. I am rebuilding a 1990 700R4 transmission and I found some front pump gear wear on one of the pump halves. If you drag your fingernail across it, you can barely feel it. I know there are re-conditioned pumps out there BUT is there a way to carefully re-condition this one? What does a transmission builder do if he runs across this and the transmission was working, only slipping in 3rd and 4th-that was due to burned clutches. I can NOT find any information other than "Carefully inspect the rotor, vanes and rotor surfaces". Can the surface actually be re-surfaced like a flywheel or cylinder head? Many thanks and keep those square bodies rolling!!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Everytime I've had a trans at my rebuilder, they have replaced the pump when wear was found.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I'd replace that pump. It's got too much wear for me. It's more than just a scuff.
Joe

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Back in the day when I worked in the machine shop, I would resurface the inner pump half in our large 4 jaw chuck lathe. Used the lathe's live center support on the converter support and cut a few thousands off the surface. The outer half of the pump was even harder to resurface as you need to cut the exact same amount off the recessed rotor area and the large outer surface area. We usually just replaced them.

To answer your question about the pump flow and whether or not to replace the whole pump, it would be better if the rotor and vanes were all back in the same as removed. If reinstalled where the vanes and rotor are facing different sides then the wear on the parts do not match any more. This will cause more loss of fluid flow and could have less pressure.

I should tell you the pumps I resurfaced were for large Allison transmissions, my time for repair could be under the cost for the large pump half's.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Replace the pump. If you can’t polish out the imperfections out with a stone the wear is too bad to even consider to be reused

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
MANY thanks to ALL for the quick replies, I am off to find a suitable replacement pump!

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Never go cheap on a trans.Replace now instead of going into it later.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Junk got caught up in the vanes and scored the pump. If you can feel your drag though it, I'd replace it. It will affect pump pressure. If it were gear type pump like a Th350 or Th400 I'd carry on, but not a Vane pump.

Burb restorer

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban Silverado 4X4
Engine Size
350 V-8
Thanks HotRodPC. I am looking into replacements tomorrow. THANKS again!

mmerlinn

Reaction score
First Name
mmerlinn
Truck Year
1977, 1993, & 1993
Truck Model
Ranger, Aerostar, & Aerostar
Engine Size
460, 181, & 181
Your pump is junk. I scrap better looking ones than that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400