1989 R3500 Dual Battery Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89square

Reaction score
First Name
Willy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Truck
Engine Size
Hi,

My truck has a secondary battery tray that was empty when I bought it, It looks like it did have one there at one point because there are battery cables ran to the location that have been taped over. From what I had read, this was to power a trailer (there is a power connector at the wheel well in the bed).

What other items were typically powered using the secondary battery? I have a few things not working, including the AC. I noted that the secondary battery positive cable is connected to a power distribution block on the firewall, it also has a cable going to the AC relay on that same side of the block and it has me wondering if if this could be why my AC does not blow cold. I have attached a few pictures.

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hi,

My truck has a secondary battery tray that was empty when I bought it, It looks like it did have one there at one point because there are battery cables ran to the location that have been taped over. From what I had read, this was to power a trailer (there is a power connector at the wheel well in the bed).

What other items were typically powered using the secondary battery? I have a few things not working, including the AC. I noted that the secondary battery positive cable is connected to a power distribution block on the firewall, it also has a cable going to the AC relay on that same side of the block and it has me wondering if if this could be why my AC does not blow cold. I have attached a few pictures.

Thanks.

From what I had read, this was to power a trailer (there is a power connector at the wheel well in the bed). What other items were typically powered using the secondary battery?

In addition to trailer wiring, the system was also designed to supply power to camper equipment.

I have a few things not working, including the AC. I noted that the secondary battery positive cable is connected to a power distribution block on the firewall, it also has a cable going to the AC relay on that same side of the block and it has me wondering if if this could be why my AC does not blow cold.

That sounds correct. The big red lead to the A/C relay is only for blower operation. The compressor clutch should pull in - provided everything else is alright.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The wire from the junction block to the A/C blower relay is only used for high speed on the blower, and there should be a 30 amp fuse in the line running across the firewall. The lower blower speeds go through the dash switch, but on high speed it kicks in the relay and makes a direct 12 volt connection. The relay is also used to turn the blower on high speed when you put the A/C in Max or recirculate mode.

Bruce

89square

Reaction score
First Name
Willy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Truck
Engine Size
Thank you both for the info, this all makes sense!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84