1988 v30 454 dump body lift advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Hello all, I have the truck stated above, I was looking if anybody on here can recommend a suspension or block style lift kit lift kit, your experiences and preference on brand, I would like to be in the 4-in area, I'm not looking for the best quality or most expensive, I just need something that's going to be able to handle the load of a dump truck for yard use and give the clearance for bigger tires, tire size advice would be appreciated as well,

You must be registered for see images attach

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Don't see why you need anything? Dual wheels can't be very wide or they will "squat" with a load rub together and blow out. A yard of dirt is only around 2000 pounds, depending on moisture. You can haul that in one of these old half tons.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Remember K30 frames are 2" taller than 1/2 & 3/4 tons. My 3" lift on my K30 works out to be a 5" lift compared to my last K15 with a 4" lift. I'm running Tuff Country 3" HD springs in front and a Fabtech #FTSBK3 3" block in back. My tires on both trucks are 33's.

@Lu Blunt has a lifted K30 DRW. He might be able to help.

K15 4" lift

K30 3" Lift

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I would like to lift this truck so it's visually appealing, I'm not looking to take it off road, occasionally I will haul some roofing materials or item for something of that nature, I'm sure there's a 4-in lift out there that would be perfect for this truck and would allow me to run a taller skinny tire

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would like to lift this truck so it's visually appealing, I'm not looking to take it off road, occasionally I will haul some roofing materials or item for something of that nature, I'm sure there's a 4-in lift out there that would be perfect for this truck and would allow me to run a taller skinny tire

Also keep in mind that increasing the over height of your tires has the same effect as shortening the gears in the rear end ie. it will make it more highway geared. If this is hauler I would not change it for visual reasons.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Another thing to think of is your plow if you still plan on using it. Will need to lower it the same that you lift the truck. Sometimes you can get away with moving mount to the bottom hole on front brackets (if it's that style), but the plow angle is then different to road surface and tends to rip rocks out of the ground instead of bouncing over when you hit a submerged one, lol. Will also have to tighten up spring tension or it will lay over faster.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
235/ 85 R 16, is the tallest skinny tire I've ever seen edit to add in a 16. As wide as I would want on a dually.... Smidge taller than a 7.50 / 16.

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
I lifted my dually k30 with 2” HD springs in the front and ORD 2” shackle flip in the rear. That way you can keep you rear leaf springs. It does make the rear most overload bracket to far from the leafs to be used but hasn’t caused me any problems. The hd front springs are made for big block/winch bumper applications and I’ve found them to handle weight well. 2” lift gives more ground/wheel clearance and keeps original payload. At 2” in the front you won’t have to lengthen drive shafts or add a steering correction

https://www.offroaddesign.com/suspension/suspension-lift-systems/73-87-chevy/k30.html

235/85r16 is the biggest tire you can run on a dually rear without spacers. Any bigger and they will rub when loaded. A lot of guys run 265/75r16 on the front and 4 235/85r16 on the rear. If you have the narrow 14 bolt rear you might run into leaf spring clearance issues trying to run a bigger tire.

Last edited:

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Hello all, I have the truck stated above, I was looking if anybody on here can recommend a suspension or block style lift kit lift kit, your experiences and preference on brand, I would like to be in the 4-in area, I'm not looking for the best quality or most expensive, I just need something that's going to be able to handle the load of a dump truck for yard use and give the clearance for bigger tires, tire size advice would be appreciated as well,

Don't lift the truck.
I would never use blocks on a work truck.
Buy 255/85-16's next time you "retire" the truck.
They do not require spacers.
Been running them for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito