1987 to 1982 column swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
I put a 1987 tilt column in my 1982. I want to connect the wiper and dimmer stalk in place of the dash and foot switches.

I'd also like to add intermittent wipers and cruise control. What all do I need to get off another truck and what years (other than 1978 of course) would have the right parts?

I already swapped in the correct neutral switch with the extra terminal for using the 1991 ECM. There's one yard that has older vehicles and will allow cutting wiring harnesses, so I can get the other long column plug and an ALDL connector too.

Any chance the ignition lock is interchangeable between the two? Would be nice to not have to have different keys for ignition and doors.

Finally (ha, I wish this was the final thing!) did GMC use this steering wheel? That Chevy horn button has got to go!

You must be registered for see images attach
IMG_20150206_145924_908 by g_alan_e, on Flickr

The 87 wheel is 1" smaller diameter, looks nicer and is nicer to grip than the skinny hard plastic 82.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That steering wheel actually didn't show up in our trucks until '89.

Your floor dimmer pigtail will plug right into the dimmer on your new column. IIRC, the wiper switch wires share the same color with the '82, just a different plug. So just change the pigtail for the wiper switch and plug in the inline wiper delay module. The truck you got the column from would have that delay module, you actually had to unplug it to remove the column.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
I didn't pull the column. The yard I got it from said it was in an 87. The turn signal, horn and some other stuff goes to one long, single row connector on the right side of the column. That all matched.

The dimmer, wipers and cruise control go to a second long, single row connector, on the left side of the column. Would be easiest/cleanest to cut that off the wiring in a newer truck then splice the dimmer, wiper and cruise control to it.

What bits and pieces do I need to add cruise control? The TBI and engine is 1991.

I'm building a Frankentruck...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The dimmer, wipers and cruise control go to a second long, single row connector, on the left side of the column.

It's all one connector on the column, but it's individual connectors that plug into it. Your dimmer pigtail has the terminals in the correct arrangement, just cut any excess material from the connector and plug it in. May need a zip tie to secure it. Or just cut off the pigtail and wire the correct one in.

At any rate, you need some pigtails. A trip to the yard and seeing the connectors in front of you will give a good understanding of what you need to do. For the cruise, you will need the harness/module/servo/mount bracket and everything from the donor.

The cruise connector on the column is the little flat one with 4 tiny little wires in it.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
I just spent a fruitless time since my last post trying to find the pinout of the wiper/cruise/dimmer long connector. Found a large amount of info for the horn/lights connector. I found some forum posts of diagrams for the horn/lights, with replies by people asking for the info on the other connector - to which someone sent it by PM. (Why couldn't they just post it in the thread?) It's not the recipe to Coca-Cola...

The pulse module, the rectangular one, not the "C" shaped one that attaches directly to the wiper motor, does that work with the plain old non-pulse wiper motor?

My truck recently had a new wiper motor installed, still has the NAPA sticker on it. If I'd have to change the motor I can live without intermittent wipers.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The wiper motor doesn't need to be changed.

Like I said, once you see it all in front of you, most (if not all) will be self explanatory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito