1987 Chevy 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick_peewee

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10/k10
Engine Size
What is the best engine swap for an 87 Chevy 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. That's a loaded question there. What do you currently have? What do you plan to do with the truck? What are you expecting to have?

These questions would help you decide what is best for you and your driving style. Plus, help the folks online give their inputs for you.

nick_peewee

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10/k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images
I want to redo pretty much everything it’s an 87 I just bought the other day but when finished I want it to be lived a little power but I like to cruise. I was thinking of putting a 6.2 in but i don’t know if it would work or be a good choice this is my first project excited and kinda lost

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is it currently a diesel now? Or are you talking LS engine?

nick_peewee

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10/k10
Engine Size
Pretty sure it has 350 in it now automatic sorry if I am not making great sense not very explanatory savy

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No worries, its always best to describe what you have to get it out of the way and people know. lol

With all the kits out there for LS swaps they are pretty much bolt in. Wiring it is were the issues start. LSx engines are super plentiful as they where used in the trucks as 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0L. These have iron blocks and later models have great numbers to start but the closer to the current year the more you will spend on an engine.

As a beginner, IMO I would suggest reading up on engine building, both small block and LS engines. There are numerous books on each. Believe or not, engine building is very easy if you go by the book (so to speak). Make sure you have the specialized tools 1st though. i.e. torque wrench, gear puller, etc.

Research is key with anything you do with these trucks. (and you thought you were done with homework) It will pay off in the end though.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Budget?

With the diesel you’ll have considerations beyond the engine alone. Such as hydroboost system for your brakes, glow plug controller, gearing etc.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

nick_peewee

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10/k10
Engine Size
So what would be the cheaper way my cluster says the engine only has 40xxx miles should I believe it and just clean up the motor and call it good?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So what would be the cheaper way my cluster says the engine only has 40xxx miles should I believe it and just clean up the motor and call it good?

if it runs yes, if not it can get expensive quick if you let it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’d agree with @4WDKC . Focus all your funds on the maintenance items. It won’t just be in the engine bay either. You don’t want to blow your cash on more power and find out there are 15 other things keeping you from driving the truck. Check the brakes, trans, axles, bearings, etc. as you go.

Since you just purchased the truck, drive and learn the vehicle for a while and go from there. Then if you still want to swap the engine, you’ll be much more mechanically savvy by then and probably have a better idea of what you’re looking for.

Snap a few pics of the engine bay. There are a lot of guys knowledgeable with Tbi engines on here that can point you in the right direction.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
k

If that is Diesel it should be ok, but you need to know that the odometer on those only goes to 99999, and yours may have flipped once.. or twice.. or more. Pretty sure mine has, but I am running on an engine rebuild.

Welcome in!

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Looking at the photo "and" it would be the first truck that I have seen that would have the issues I am looking at
in 40,000 miles.
Drive it for a while and make sure it stops and turns etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL