1987 Chevrolet R10 Running Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmitch19

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello. I’m in a little bit of a pickle and have been for some time. Earlier this year I traded a Mazda truck for my 87 Chevrolet. It has a 305 crate engine and it is equipped with the original TBI system but no longer has an egr valve. I have never been able to get it to idle right and it sucks gas like crazy. I’ve replaced every sensor and several sensor connectors to no avail. It runs fine while driving but idling is a big issue. I had been using the paper clip method to check the codes and I got max of 4-5 codes. I recently decided to go to the local parts store and use their OBD1 reader. It came up with 10 codes. They are as follows:
13-oxygen sensor open or no activity
31-gear position switch error
32-EGR circuit fault
33-MAP sensor circuit error; signal high indicating low vacuum
35-IAC problem or idle error
41-no reference pulses to ecm
42-electronic spark timing circuit grounded
43-electronic spark control circuit error
51-PROM incorrectly installed
52-Fuel CALPAK incorrect or missing
54-Fuel Pump Circuit low voltage
55-ECM error

Any help on getting these problems resolved would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
you have to do something

It involves finding your ECM, unhooking battery, discharging static, opening the cover, pulling off the chip on the board, verifying the pins are ok, then reinserting it properly and fully into the ECM.

jmitch19

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have tried that a few times already just to cover all my bases. It runs alright after I hook it back up and then goes back to the same way after it runs for a few minutes.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'm guessing the person that swapped the engine may have not done you any favors. you may have to test each sensor and component and their wiring. or if the ECM is toast. you could swap it. good luck!

jmitch19

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thank you for the advice. I’ve tested the sensors before and they seem to be working as they should. I have a spare ECM that I can try. I know you have to swap the PROM over. There is another smaller chip beside it too. Does that one have to be swapped as well?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thank you for the advice. I’ve tested the sensors before and they seem to be working as they should. I have a spare ECM that I can try. I know you have to swap the PROM over. There is another smaller chip beside it too. Does that one have to be swapped as well?
to my knowledge, that chip may be for EST.. but I could be wrong. Im not certain unfortunately
You must be registered for see images attach

not necessarily the fix but worth checking out

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
One should be a CALPACK (smaller) and one should be a PROM/MEMCAL chip. the CALpack should be for running in failure mode, apparently? And the PROM is your normoal engine functioning. I would take a pic of your ECM board and the chips as they stand now and show us

jmitch19

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Okay. I will attach a picture of them. Another question in regards to the bulletin. If I replace the PROM, would there be a revised PROM with a different code?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Okay. I will attach a picture of them. Another question in regards to the bulletin. If I replace the PROM, would there be a revised PROM with a different code?
Yes, you should get a new prom with an updated calibration, yours is probably an old revision
1987 Chevy / GMC R1500 R10 5.0L Engine with 700R4 Automatic Transmission
ADTR 1987 31679 16073430 1227747 3432 3341 R1 L03 5.0 MD8 AUTO

this sounds like it may be updated

GMC NUMBER: 91-6D-113

GROUP: 6D Engine Electrical

DATE: July, 1991

CORPORATE NUMBER: 176502R

SUBJECT:

DAMAGE TO ECM/PCM CIRCUIT BOARD WHEN INSTALLING A MEM-CAL (NEW MEM-CAL INSTALL PROCEDURE)

MODELS:

ALL 1986-91 TRUCKS WITH MEM-CAL

CONDITION: When installing a service replacement ECM/PCM, the use of incorrect MEM-CAL installation procedures may cause the ECM/PCM to
fail before it can be installed in the vehicle. This condition may appear as if the ECM/PCM were defective when it was shipped to the dealership, when
in fact it was damaged while being installed. In addition, this condition may also occur when installing an "updated" service MEM-CAL into the
vehicle's original equipment ECM/PCM.

CAUSE: Excessive vertical force may be applied to the MEM-CAL resulting in flexing of the circuit board and damage to the connections between the
circuit board and attached components. Excessive verticle force may be generated in two ways.

Incorrect MEM-CAL installation procedure.

Interference between MEM-CAL and cover.

CORRECTION:

Use the following service procedure.

Service Procedure:

! Important

This procedure supersedes any instructions regarding MEM-CAL installation dated prior to September 1990.

Inspect the MEM-CAL to determine if a cork spacer is glued to the top side of the MEM-CAL assembly. If so, remove it prior to installation.

Align small notches with matching notches in the ECM/PCM MEM-CAL socket.

VERY GENTLY press down on the ends of the MEM-CAL until the locking levers are rotated toward the sides of the MEM-CAL. While
continuing light pressure on the ends of MEM-CAL, use your index fingers to press the locking levers inward until they are snapped into place.
Listen for click.
Notice: To avoid ECM/PCM damage, do not press on the ends of the MEM-CAL until the levers snap into place. Do not use any vertical force
beyond the minimum required to engage the MEM-CAL into its socket.

Install MEM-CAL cover and install ECM/PCM in vehicle

The Electronic Control Module (ECM), located in the passenger compartment, is the control center of the fuel injection system. The ECM continually
monitors and processes the input information and generates output commands to the various systems affecting vehicle performance.

A removable calibration unit (PROM) enables the ECM to recognize and adjust for vehicle variations (vehicle weight, axle ratio, etc.). There are specific
ECM/PROM combinations for each specific vehicle which are not interchangeable, Fig. 4.

On V6 models, a CALPAK is also installed in the ECM. The CALPAK allows fuel delivery in the case that other parts of the ECM are damaged, Fig. 5.
possibly wrong ecm?
my car didnt have a calpak spot, but its 1990

\\

The ECM also performs the diagnostic function of the fuel injection system. When the ECM senses an operational problem, it will illuminate the "Check
Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light and store the appropriate code(s) to identify the problem area

Incorrect PROM or MEMCAL removal and replacement can create solder joint problems or aggravate an existing condition. See PROM or
MEMCAL INSTALLATION for proper procedures.

If a solder joint problem results in a "hard" failure, normal test procedures will usually pinpoint a faulty control module. Many symptoms caused by poor
solder joints in the control module result in intermittent problems, but they may be hard to duplicate during troubleshooting. Control module's with
solder joint problems are sensitive to heat and vibration. You can check for these internal control module problems in either, or both, of the following
ways:

^

Remove the control module from its mounting bracket and extend it on the harness so that you can expose it to the vehicle heater ducts.
Alternatively, use flexible ducting to route air from the heater to the control module location. Then run the engine and operate the heater at
the "MAX HEAT" position. This exposes the control module to approximately 140°F.

^

With the engine running, tap on the control module several times with your hand or finger tips to simulate vehicle vibration.

If the engine stumbles or stalls, the "CHECK ENGINE" "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR" light flashes, or any of the
previous symptoms occur, the control module may have bad solder joints on the circuit board

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Engine Controls - New PROM (Driveability/False Lights)​
Notes​

GMC NUMBER:88-T-109
GROUP:6E - Engine Emission
DATE:May, 1988
CORPORATE
NUMBER:836501R
SUBJECT:REVISED PROMS: TO ADDRESS DRIVEABILITY AND ELIMINATE FALSE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" LIGHTS
MODELS:1987 AND EARLY 1988 R/V, C/K, AND G MODELS WITH 5.0L (VIN CODE H) AND 5.7L (VIN CODE K) ENGINES AND LIGHT DUTY EMISSIONS
THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND SUPERSEDES TRUCK SERVICE BULLETIN 88-T-25 ALL COPIES OF WHICH SHOULD BE DESTROYED. THIS REVISION IS TO UPDATE PROM P/N'S AND ADD LABOR OP. AND TIME.
Some 1987 and early built 1988 RN, C/K and G models with TBI engines may experience one or more of the following driveability conditions and/or false codes. If these conditions are experienced, they can be repaired by replacing the PROMs.

1.Rolling, surging or rough idles.
2.False Code 54 - Fuel pump circuit (low voltage).
3.False Code 43 - ESC fault.
4.Tip-In Sags/Hesitations during engine warmup.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Oh jesus christ they changed the labeling

DESCRIPTION:

The resistor network calibration called a CALPAK is located inside the computer. Its appearance and service is similar to the PROM. The
CALPAK allows fuel to be delivered if other parts of the computer fail. The CALPAK provides the computer with calibrations for:

^

Cold Start Cranking.

^

Limp home fuel (fuel backup mode).

ANY TIME THE PROM IS INSTALLED BACKWARDS AND THE IGNITION SWITCH IS TURNED ON, THE PROM IS DESTROYED.

jmitch19

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I did some digging and found a couple PROM chips that are listed on the bulletin but they are used and I’m not sure how I feel about buying a used chip and having it possibly be bad as well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I did some digging and found a couple PROM chips that are listed on the bulletin but they are used and I’m not sure how I feel about buying a used chip and having it possibly be bad as well.
if cheap, get one, if not cheap, then dont gamble. I would still check the install... if they are backwards zap they are toast, but if just installed poorly that can cause issues. also check the ecm grounds

jmitch19

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I found a chip and calpak for $36. I’m gonna try that and see what happens. Thank you for all of your help!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I found a chip and calpak for $36. I’m gonna try that and see what happens. Thank you for all of your help!
make sure to install right way. if you have issues or same issues, suspect the grounding system or the ECM