1986 Square body K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Daniel

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I inherited a 86 square body from my brother. I had a 77 K10 short bed that I put in a 454. I sold it after the kids came along. Now I am trying to restore this 86. But I am having some trouble with rear lights. I think Its a ground problem. Can you guys help me. It has a plug in the back `for the lights . Can anyone explain this plug pins to me and the color code. Thank You guys

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

The lights ground to the truck bed. If you think it is a ground issue, the bed may not have a good ground to the frame. (rust) Add a ground from the bed to the frame. Use 10 or 12 gauge wire.

James Daniel

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do you know where the original ground would be located ? And the the plug coming from the front of the truck do you know the color code for the ground. Thank you so much. When I shut the tail gate the lights blink or go off.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Do you know where the original ground would be located ? And the the plug coming from the front of the truck do you know the color code for the ground. Thank you so much. When I shut the tail gate the lights blink or go off.

There is no separate wire for the bed ground. When built the battery heavy lead goes to the engine. Should have a smaller 10 gauge wire from the battery to the front fender. That takes care of the cab through all the sheet metal.

The frame is grounded with another wire from the engine block. This location varies by year. The frame supplies the ground to the bed. With time the frame and bed flex and rust can form. The bed will loose the ground connection to the frame.

Remove a fender bolt from the bed. Sand the rust under the bolt head to clean metal. Use a hole in the frame nearby and sand that area too. Wire end eyelet on each end of a 10 gauge wire. Bolt the wire to the frame and fender with a star washer. A little spray paint to help seal each connection.

GM usually has black wires for ground. Not labeled but visible in the drawing above.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
pull the tail lights and check/clean the grounds first. Thats the least effort bit, after that check the bed ground to battery.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My truck has a small ground wire for each taillight, and a larger diameter ground wire (white) that is grounded to the frame up under the rear bumper. All the rear lights wiring is standard GM colors for a trailer connector.
I think the taillight diagram on this page is correct, except that the ground may be either black or white.
https://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/80hlightschematic.html

James Daniel

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

James Daniel

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you Guys for all the Welcomes. That's nice. I think the truck is fixed . I have been thinking about a 572 big block . What do you guys think ? I'm a chevy nut. Love small blocks but love the sound of a BB. Do you think The drive train will take it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL