1986 c10 with 1999 vortec 454 carb swap. degree Timing??? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I swapped in a 1999 vortec 454 and did a HEI and carb swap to the engine. Runs good Lots of stupid
torque. If I even blip the throttle the tires Well (TIRE) lights up LOL. FUN. I am going to make this my
car hauler and shop truck. Mainly car hauler. I want to fine tune it. Not really familiar with the BIG BLOCK
timing. At idle lets say 700/750 rpm what should timing be BTDC 12/16/18?. I did this by ear and feel, but like I said I
want to fine tune it. Then at about 2000/2400 rpm where should I be? Like 34/36 BTDC? Thanks all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
What should idle be? I was guessing 700/to/750.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
There is no specific timing for this you want to see how much total car likes,than how fast you can bring it in then how much vacuum can we add for cruise timing. To find what total the car likes disconnect the vacuum can,find 2 land marks about an 1/8 mile apart,set your timing so you have about 30* total then accelerate hard through as much of second gear as you can record your speed at the second landmark. You are looking for speed not time. Add 2 degrees and repeat until speed plateaus or drops go back to the minnimum that had best speed. After you figure out total then we can work on the rest. The reason you are using minnimum timing for maximum trap speed is not all engines/heads and other variables are knock limited you can actually go past best torque before you get knock.The less timing can use to make the same power will make your car less octane sensitive,and by lighting the mixture later you aren't trying to overcome combustion pressure as long on the compression stroke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08