1985 Scottsdale V6 - Choke Light coming on at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randall

Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V6
So, recently my truck has developed what I'm guessing is a vacuum problem, but I'm not sure. When the truck is just started up, it runs fine. After the engine reaches operating temperature, the choke light comes on and the truck starts to cough and sputter when I'm in neutral (at a stop light). The engine smooths out if I put my foot on the gas a little and increase the idle speed. Has anyone else had this problem?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Possibly but it should show a little more consistency than that. Or so I would think. My biggest concern is the choke light. That makes me think the oil pressure is getting low to the point where the choke circuit is getting confused. I’d verify good warm, idle oil pressure right away so you don’t burn up your engine over a bad oil pump or a clogged pickup. Might come up with nothing there, but since the choke heater circuit is supposed to close only with sufficient oil pressure, I’d say it’d be worth borrowing a test kit from Autozone and seeing if that checks out.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Low oil pressure, fix the idle issue and verify the oil pressure. The oil pressure switches go bad with age too, not to be confused with the oil pressure sending unit, if you have gauges.

Randall

Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V6
Possibly but it should show a little more consistency than that. Or so I would think. My biggest concern is the choke light. That makes me think the oil pressure is getting low to the point where the choke circuit is getting confused. I’d verify good warm, idle oil pressure right away so you don’t burn up your engine over a bad oil pump or a clogged pickup. Might come up with nothing there, but since the choke heater circuit is supposed to close only with sufficient oil pressure, I’d say it’d be worth borrowing a test kit from Autozone and seeing if that checks out.

I think you're on to something here. I'm not the best with maintenance on this truck. It is mainly used to haul trash to the dump and little things like that, so I often let it sit for long periods of time. I think there is a good possibility that the pickup screen is indeed clogged with sludge. The oil pressure was extremely low when it was idling. I think I'm going to just go ahead and drop the oil pan and replace the oil pump and pickup screen just to be safe. There's probably all kinds of junk in that pan that needs to be cleaned out anyway. Fingers crossed that that solves the problem!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Better safe than sorry. Pump failed on my truck’s original motor, and the gauge was inop so I did burn the motor up.

waynew

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Vortec 327
CorvairGeek and 1987 GMC Jimmy are right. The choke light doubles as a low oil pressure indicator light. I think it comes on if the oil pressure drops below 4psi.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size