1985 K5 Blazer Silverado - NOTHING ORIGINAL!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Hello all. I have been posting here a little but I haven't made a formal introduction in this sub-forum so I guess it's better late than never. I live in NE Georgia and I am new to GM Square Body vehicles. I have always liked them but never came across a really good deal - that is until recently when I purchased this 1985 K5 Blazer Silverado.

You must be registered for see images attach

Well, at least I THOUGHT I was getting a "good deal". I paid less than $2K for it after I took it on a test drive. It has needed some pretty substantial repairs, but that's really not what's bothering me. After I started looking into the thing a little more closely, it turns out this vehicle is far from its original factory condition.

This Blazer originally came with a 305 engine and Quadrajet carb. The previous owner apparently removed it - and all the period-correct emission control stuff - and installed a 350 with an Edelbrock carb and dual exhaust.

Oh but it gets better....

This thing came with a 4 speed transmission. It's not there anymore, either. I got underneath it today and counted the bolts and examined the shape of the pan. It's a 3 speed transmission called a "TH350"?

WTF???

Oh but we're not done yet. There's more!

This Blazer is supposed to have a 10 bolt rear axle in it. Guess what? It's got a 12 bolt in it, instead.

I don't know what possessed the previous owner but he has been known to hit the bottle occasionally. I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, I just want to say that the short amount of time I have spent here on this forum has been very helpful. The members here are very gracious and possess a wealth of knowledge. Thank you all for being such a welcoming group of automobile enthusiasts. I will definitely be in need of said knowledge going forward, as I have obviously have a tough row to hoe here in order to get this thing back to factory specs. If anyone has a complete set of 1985 emission control equipment please let me know. Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Formal howdy!

You still got a great deal on a K5 too. That's dirt cheap these days for one that runs and drives. The 350 is a big upgrade in most people's eyes, the TH350 is an upgrade for some folks too. And well the 12 bolt rear really isn't an upgrade but it's not a downgrade either. The original 10 bolt likely had a major failure and the 12 bolt was handy.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Formal howdy!

You still got a great deal on a K5 too. That's dirt cheap these days for one that runs and drives. The 350 is a big upgrade in most people's eyes, the TH350 is an upgrade for some folks too. And well the 12 bolt rear really isn't an upgrade but it's not a downgrade either. The original 10 bolt likely had a major failure and the 12 bolt was handy.

I'm definitely new to the GM truck scene (and the combustion engine still remains a mystery to me) but even with my very limited knowledge I would still rather have all the stuff the previous owner had installed on it than the factory stuff that came with it. My post was intended to be a little tongue-in-cheek LOL. One good thing about it being NOTHING ORIGINAL is you kinda have a "blank canvas" to do whatever you want and not have to worry about messing up the "bone stock, factory condition".

And thanks for having me!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
As bucket said you got a great deal regardless so be happy there!

also, like you said you can pretty much do what you want at this point since it’s not original so make it your own and have a good time doing it :)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
The ol' TH350 or 350 sbc aint a downgrade :)
12b? Yawn

Welcome from NC

Cool truck.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
This is the thing in the glove box (which needs cleaning)

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Great deal indeed! Still a K5 Blazer and you can work on your imperfections and make it what YOU want! (Emissions will be a bitch though, best of luck) AND welcome from PA!

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
and P.S. we all LOVE pictures! the more the merrier man, i'd love to see the rest of that beauty!

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Great deal indeed! Still a K5 Blazer and you can work on your imperfections and make it what YOU want! (Emissions will be a bitch though, best of luck) AND welcome from PA!

I was just kidding about the emissions. I am waiting on a pair of Flowmaster 70 Series to get here from Summit Racing so I guess that might count as "emissions" LOL. It's got an exhaust leak right now that is driving me nuts. As soon as those things get here it's off to the muffler shop up the road about a mile from my house. Gonna try to use what's already on there but if he has to run all new stuff I'm OK with that too as long as it gets rid of that awful noise. Getting real sick of hearing that damn leak. It's got other leaks too but at least they are quiet.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This is the thing in the glove box (which needs cleaning)

Pretty good options in there, besides the little 305.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I was just kidding about the emissions. I am waiting on a pair of Flowmaster 70 Series to get here from Summit Racing so I guess that might count as "emissions" LOL. It's got an exhaust leak right now that is driving me nuts. As soon as those things get here it's off to the muffler shop up the road about a mile from my house. Gonna try to use what's already on there but if he has to run all new stuff I'm OK with that too as long as it gets rid of that awful noise. Getting real sick of hearing that damn leak. It's got other leaks too but at least they are quiet.

being a new owner of it and looking at a solid truck, it honestly wouldn't hurt getting it all new. One of those little leaks could turn into a big leak in a short matter of time and then you'll be practically back where you started. You'd be better in the long run imo

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Going back to the alignment place today. I just dumped a ton of money into the front end - upper and lower ball joints both wheels, new sway bar and bushings, new gear box, new steering stabilizer, and 4 shocks all the way around - and this bastard has more steering wheel slop in it now than when I brought it in for service. I'm moving my hands back and forth so much in a straightway I feel like I'm in a damn boxing match. Leaving for their shop right now.

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
:welcome: nice looking K5 Blazer !

Latest posts

Forum statistics