1983 original Delco AM/FM intermittent low volume.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Delaney

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
I have an 83 with the original radio and single speaker in the center of the dash.

For some reason the volume goes very very low and will stay that way until I turn it off and then on again at which point it's normal for a few minutes and then does the same thing.

I use an FM bluetooth transmitter from my phone for listening and really have no desire to upgrade.

Any ideas about what the problem is? I'd like to either fix it or get another original type Delco if I can find one that isn't crazy expensive.

Thanks

Texxxan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mine does that too. I've noticed that by messing with the wires that connect to the deck makes it work again. I just reach under the dash and wiggle the wires. Its not a permanent fix. I need to figure out how to make it stay working all the time. If you figure it out, please share.

85 Fleetside

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The OEM radio circuitry in the mid-80s were DC grounded by a short metal strap near the power connector. Poor grounding at that point will give you this problem because it is the ground reference for the circuit board. Wiggling the wires where they enter the radio flexes the area enough to temporarily correct the ground reference. The radio must be removed from the vehicle to fix this. Once the radio is on your workbench take the cover off and give a close look at where the connectors enter the radio. Clean & tighten the ground connection point. My 1985 factory AM/FM Delco radio has worked fine for the past seven years since doing this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave