1983 k5 blazer stalls when no pushing gas pedal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DnS421

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Hey guys, I’m in the process of getting my uncles old ‘83 K5 Blazer running again and finally got it starting after new spark plugs, spark plug wires and entirely new destributer/rotor button/cap. Now the problem is that after starting the gas pedal HAS to have some sort of pressure on the pedal or instantly dies. I got it to idle for just a few seconds by itself and put it in gear to test the transmission and going into gear install killed the engine. Is this bad timing? Vacuum leaks? Both? Something else entirely? Appreciate any help!

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Grab yourself a timing light, cheap investment and then I’d lean vacuum leak, LIGHTLY spray brake or carb cleaner around the vacuum lines going in small areas to see if it picks up the idle any where… if you don’t have anyone to help grab a bungee cord to hold the throttle open a little to run so you can get to the engine bay..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is this only on a cold start? Or does it not idle on it's own when warm too?

DnS421

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Is this only on a cold start? Or does it not idle on it's own when warm too?
I’ve not had it up temp yet because I’ve not been able to keep it idling that long plus a leaky radiator. So, so far just on cold starts.

DnS421

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Grab yourself a timing light, cheap investment and then I’d lean vacuum leak, LIGHTLY spray brake or carb cleaner around the vacuum lines going in small areas to see if it picks up the idle any where… if you don’t have anyone to help grab a bungee cord to hold the throttle open a little to run so you can get to the engine bay..
Planning on grabbing one soon, 30 dollars on Facebook about 10 miles from me! Can’t beat that. I’ll check the vacuum leaks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I’ve not had it up temp yet because I’ve not been able to keep it idling that long plus a leaky radiator. So, so far just on cold starts.

It may just be a non-functional choke. Just play with the throttle a bit and keep it running for a minute or two and see if it becomes more willing to idle on it's own. You may have to just turn up the idle screw enough for it to keep running on it's own, so you can more easily check it all out. Check for vacuum leaks, adjust the idle air mixture, set timing, etc.

DnS421

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
It may just be a non-functional choke. Just play with the throttle a bit and keep it running for a minute or two and see if it becomes more willing to idle on it's own. You may have to just turn up the idle screw enough for it to keep running on it's own, so you can more easily check it all out. Check for vacuum leaks, adjust the idle air mixture, set timing, etc.
I’ll try the idle screw ideal, I appreciate the help! I plan on getting the carb completely rebuilt soon I’m hoping that will help
A lot.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I’ll try the idle screw ideal, I appreciate the help! I plan on getting the carb completely rebuilt soon I’m hoping that will help
A lot.
You need to put the pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly release to set the choke and get it onto the high idle cam. Then, if it still won't stay running, you need to adjust the "high idle set screw" which is a small screw on the passenger side of the carb. The regular idle screw on the drivers side shouldn't be contacting anything when the choke is set and it's on the high idle cam. You should only adjust the regular idle screw and the idle mixture screws when it is fully warmed and the choke has pulled off.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Make sure you do the full pedal and slow release BEFORE starting the truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes