1983 K20 - Pep her up or leave her alone??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savageftr

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
What I would do... rebuild the engine how ever you like to make some power but put it back together and paint it so it looks completely stock.

If it looks stock who is gonna know unless they rip the engine out and measure the cam lobes....

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
What do the hub caps look like? ....

They look like this, but are deep to go over the full floating axle hubs.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Unfortunately I could only find Ford
or dodge caps. I’ll keep a constant eye tho since I know I do run into more all the time. like I found this chilling in a box or glass bottles looking for hubcaps then I dropped it in the dirty grass and it’s wet. lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I got a way around it-
When you want a cushy ride, go drive your brand new Canyon. When you want to enjoy banging around town in your old K20, just do that ;)

Just think, at one point in time (1985) a K20 Silverado with radial tires, air conditioning, power windows, cruise, and an FM tape deck already had all the modern day amenities. If people survived back then (and even enjoyed it), surely it's not unbearable today. If you just can't stand to bring yourself to drive such a horrid old fashioned uncomfortable truck with its barbaric old fashioned leaf sprung suspension, I will gladly remove it from your driveway free of charge and leave you free to enjoy your plastic cellphone with wheels and leather attached to it that one might mistake for a truck... :bleh:
I too accept donations of leaf sprung entities even just leafs

By chance is there any likely problems to occur if I remove the front driveshaft from my d44 and np208. If you know

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I too accept donations of leaf sprung entities even just leafs

By chance is there any likely problems to occur if I remove the front driveshaft from my d44 and np208. If you know
I think it's possible the yoke could slip out while driving and start pissing oil. I know that it's common for people who over-lift their trucks to ditch the front driveshaft, so I'm not exactly sure how it works. Without looking at it specifically I don't know if there's anything that holds them in in that specific configuration. I could be completely wrong, that's just one thing that comes to mind that you would want to look out for. I know the output for the rear driveshaft can definitely do that if attempting to drive around in 4x4 with no rear driveshaft.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think it's possible the yoke could slip out while driving and start pissing oil. I know that it's common for people who over-lift their trucks to ditch the front driveshaft, so I'm not exactly sure how it works. Without looking at it specifically I don't know if there's anything that holds them in in that specific configuration. I could be completely wrong, that's just one thing that comes to mind that you would want to look out for. I know the output for the rear driveshaft can definitely do that if attempting to drive around in 4x4 with no rear driveshaft.
I was thinking just so I can keep the truck mobile without putting it back on right away but if you think there was any risk I’d just assume keep it in the same spot till I’m ready to put it back in

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I was thinking just so I can keep the truck mobile without putting it back on right away but if you think there was any risk I’d just assume keep it in the same spot till I’m ready to put it back in
I really am not 100% positive, never been in that situation before. Almost all of my knowledge is just through experience, either my own or that of close friends who have told me about their misadventures. I'm sure someone here has more knowledge about the topic than I do.

**** it, drive around a little and see what happens? Hell, when I was your age I wouldn't have thought twice about it I would have just tried and see what it did lol. You don't really drive on the road, right? If you're just farting around on the property hop out and check on it every so often. if nothing happens you're probably gonna be fine

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's my truck '74 Custom Deluxe right after I bought it in 1981.
Factory hub caps I wish I still had and all the trim like the wheel well trim and back of the cab trim. It's Kelly Green Metallic and White with a pearl white vinyl seats with that woven nylon stuff in the middle that was some kind of different color weave in the center of the seats and pearl white door panels.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I understand wanting to remove the emission components to clean up the engine compartment. If you remove them, make sure to keep everything in case you need it later. Those parts are getting hard to find. As far as performance upgrades, Summit Racing sells the vortec heads that have corrected any issues with the original design and have all the performance upgrades. They are made by Dart. The smaller chamber size compared to what you have now should boost the compression a noticeable amount. You can get the pair for about $700. Then just do the external upgrades like a performer intake, edelbrock carb, headers, etc. I'm not saying those brands in particular, they are just some of the popular ones. There are many choices and opinions. With aftermarket heads, a cam would make a big difference also.

BrushCountry

Reaction score
First Name
L
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Okay, so my '83 K20 is amazing. The wife and I love driving her. Heck, it was her late daddy's rig, and it's the truck she learned to drive a ton of years ago, so it makes sense. Plus, she looks amazing and drives just like you'd expect. :)

Well, it’s like pappy always said… If it ain’t broke don’t fix it…

I have the exact same truck as you, mines an 80. I took the 350 out and put it in storage. I had a couple mid 70s 454s laying around so I just put one of those in. It is bone stock. When it comes to power and torque there really is no comparison IMO.

I imagine if youre willing to put a used motor in the truck you can find a 454 for a good price. Probably for less than the go fast parts your talking about putting on the 350.

So you get wrench, if your into that. You get cheap horsepower to wake the k20 up. You have the numbers matching 350 safely tucked away to ease your Puritan soul. And you save a ton money.

I know it’s not Hot Rod garage but I’d be willing to bet that there are some folks on this forum that have done it just the same. That’s what’s great about pickup trucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave