1983 Chevy K10 Alternator and Starter Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdog_96

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What is the proper setup for Junction block to starter/ alternator, i have three 10 gauge red wires, one from fuse block, one from junction block and one from alternator that looks like it attaches to another one and then to starter. The stud attached wire on the back of alt. is running to junction block via fusible link, is this correct? The fusible link from alternator to starter has been cut and the 10 ga. red wire from junction block is just laying there with no connector. Someone tell me what is going on these diagrams arent helping and i cant find a engine only harness for an 83. Oh and what are these fusible links and how the heck do i replace them? I cant find any OEM style fusible link that even looks remotely close.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
@bucket how do you get to the library section of the forum?

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
What is the proper setup for Junction block to starter/ alternator, i have three 10 gauge red wires, one from fuse block, one from junction block and one from alternator that looks like it attaches to another one and then to starter. The stud attached wire on the back of alt. is running to junction block via fusible link, is this correct? The fusible link from alternator to starter has been cut and the 10 ga. red wire from junction block is just laying there with no connector. Someone tell me what is going on these diagrams arent helping and i cant find a engine only harness for an 83. Oh and what are these fusible links and how the heck do i replace them? I cant find any OEM style fusible link that even looks remotely close.
I found fusible links at Napa auto parts for my son's truck. If you post a couple pictures of what you have I can probably help. Did you find a wiring diagram for an 1983 k10?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@bucket how do you get to the library section of the forum?

In the main Forum Index, it's the first one under '73-'87 GM Truck Modifications. It's titled "The Squarebody Reference Library".

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The wiring needed for the alternator and starter is fairly simple.
- large positive wire from battery post to larger starter post.
- starter relay wire running to the ignition switch
- 10 gauge wire with 14 gauge fusible link running to the junction next to the brake booster. This is your constant 12 volt power.
-10 gauge wire with 14 gauge fusible link running to the alternator Bat terminal. This is the alternator charge wire.
Those three smaller gauge wires run up the back of the engine through a metal tube to protect them from the exhaust heat.

Using the starter as a junction is not very convenient when you add accessories or use a high amp alternator, so I would suggest a change in wiring.
- Alternator charge wire can run directly from the battery over to the alternator, using a fuse or fusible link to protect it at the battery end.
- leave the power power wire in place to power the truck fuse block.
- add a 2nd power wire (with fuse or fusible link) from the battery terminal to a junction block on the firewall or fender. This gives you a good power point for adding things to your truck.

One good source for wires with fusible links, and cheap junction blocks, is a Pick and Pull with some GMT400 trucks. Those trucks used larger gauge power wires, and there was often a six terminal power junction mounted up on the firewall. When you pull the junction it will usually already have wires connected that have the fusible link in them.

The way fusible links were marked has changed over the years. You can still buy the old bulk wire, where the link gauge is numerically 4 numbers bigger than the wire it protects (14 gauge link protects a 10 gauge wire). NAPA usually carries a few sizes in bulk.
However, most of the newer ones (in vehicles) have metric markings. For example, a 2.0mm link is equivalent to 14 gauge. The OEM metric links usually have the size (like 2mm) marked on them. It will be a large plastic “barrel” around the wire.

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I highly recommend going to a better alternator like a 97 amp 12SI that would have come stock on the 454's from 85-87. Its a direct v-belt replacement. I would also recommend you take that 10 gauge wire from the junction block and make sure it is only running to the larger wire going into the two-prong connector on the alternator. Disconnect the wire going from the main lug terminal to the starter and throw it into the garbage. Get an 8-gauge wire with a fusible link from a GMT-400 truck/suburban and connect from the alternator direct to the battery. That will GREATLY improve charging and alternator reliability.

Also make sure the alternator to bracket and bracket to engine mounting points are clear of corrosion and paint. I also recommend a 4 AWG or larger ground wire from the alternator bracket to the frame, and from the frame to the battery ground terminal. This will also greatly improve the entire truck electrical system functionality.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I highly recommend going to a better alternator like a 97 amp 12SI that would have come stock on the 454's from 85-87. Its a direct v-belt replacement. I would also recommend you take that 10 gauge wire from the junction block and make sure it is only running to the larger wire going into the two-prong connector on the alternator. Disconnect the wire going from the main lug terminal to the starter and throw it into the garbage. Get an 8-gauge wire with a fusible link from a GMT-400 truck/suburban and connect from the alternator direct to the battery. That will GREATLY improve charging and alternator reliability.

Also make sure the alternator to bracket and bracket to engine mounting points are clear of corrosion and paint. I also recommend a 4 AWG or larger ground wire from the alternator bracket to the frame, and from the frame to the battery ground terminal. This will also greatly improve the entire truck electrical system functionality.
even a CS series with the mounting ears at the same opposed spots would be good, you can put v belt pulley on. They also have many more features and overally live long healthy lives on something low impact as a square without extreme loads.

But they do get hot and the heat kills the rectifier and they are more complex than SI alts, so its not like a apple/apple if you like to rebuild when bad but dont push your current one kinda thing

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

Latest posts

Forum statistics