1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1983 C20 - Michael's Slow Build Thread

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by mistaake, Apr 14, 2015.

1. mistaake

mistaake Full Access Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    Okay, I need to order the center driveshaft bearing mount support bracket. Now that somebody pointed out this part is bad, I notice a clunking noise that's probably from the bad part.

I went on rockauto and o'reilly and there are a bunch of different ones available... which one do I need? :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    Get the one that looks like yours. Some are different brands, some are just the bearing without the metal. I'd get the one with the metal mounting bracket.

3. mistaake

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    I think what I will do is take the old one off and go in and match them up. That way I will definitely get the right one.

4. mistaake

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    If my truck is not running well when hot (only happens if i sit in traffic a lot which means the heat isn't flowing out of the engine bay like it does when driving), and I think it's a problem with the ignition system, (not overheating, I have a temp gauge now), what components could be the problem?

I had the same problem with my old 1989 E150 and the TFI module was at fault, but I don't think the Chevy has a TFI module.

We already replaced the cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs. Maybe the HEI is the problem?

5. PrairieDrifter

PrairieDrifter Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mason
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
    Engine Size:
    350, 350, 350, 350, 350
    If all eight plugs are firing good the ignition shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you're still running rich? Have you done anything else to the carb other than getting it tuned in? Check your oil if it smells like gas again and maybe check a couple of plugs. Or it could be an emissions system problem..

6. mistaake

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    Would my truck be more fuel efficient if I switched to electric fans? Right now I have the stock fan that is always spinning. Would I have to upgrade my alternator? I'm running the stock one, which I guess is 63 amps? I want to do e-fans, put a good sound system in the truck, my gps and phone charger, and attach an inverter. That's why I think I need a better alternator. Plus, this one is probably original with 130K on it and I'm sure has seen better days.

I found a 140 amp alternator on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Powermaster-5...1--8-2-141--6-0&sr=1-5&ymm=1983:chevrolet:c20

Is there anything else I need to change besides the alternator itself?
    Also, does a more powerful alternator charge the battery faster if I make lots of short trips?

Thanks...

7. mistaake

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    So... the horn doesn't work. When I press the middle of the steering wheel, nothing happens. Me and my buddy looked everywhere in the engine compartment, and came to the conclusion that the horn itself was simply missing, and moved on. Then yesterday I happen to look at the front of the truck... and I maybe found the horn :D there is a round thing in front of the radiator that looks like it might be the horn. Please tell me I'm right??

8. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    OK, You're Right.

9. MadOgre

MadOgre Full Access Member

First Name:
    NA
    Truck Year:
    NA
    Truck Model:
    NA
    Engine Size:
    NA
    It probably doesn't work though :(

10. firebane

firebane Full Access Member

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    There is a lot of work installing electric fans. I'd put in a clutch fan and call it a day.

NO real need for a 140a alternator unless you are drawing or using a lot of stuff on your truck. I put a 140a on mine just because it cost me $50.

11. firebane

firebane Full Access Member

First Name:
    Curtis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    Just throw a batter across the terminals and you'll know really quick LOL.

12. mistaake

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    Got a working audio system...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MITLPX2/
    Stuck that to the dashboard with double sided tape :D

Yes, it's temporary. Will put it a proper head unit and new speakers at some point.

New headlight switch is great.

Also got a rearview mount and rearview mirror installed, but I friggin' HATE IT. Even though they are the same brand the mount is shit and the mirror is too small and the picture sucks. You think a mirror would be a simple thing to make - well it's not! Everything is distorted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDT8KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029WSVI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking... if i end up sorting the paperwork issues with my 98 k1500 that i bought in another state and never got the title for (long story, dont ask) ... what am I going to do with the 83? do i put bare minimum work into it and then sell it when the time comes, or do I keep fixing stuff on it? when i get the title for the k1500 i plan to save up to lift it, get some nice big tires and get some agressive exhaust...

I mean, I don't need two trucks, but I do like the 83. It's got a personality that the newer trucks (even a cool looking lifted k1500 z71) just don't have. But I'd hate to save up for a crate engine and rebuilt transmission for something I'm not going to keep for a long time... so I think I'm going to keep them both. The C20 will have the laid-back old truck personality while the K1500 will have the f*** you attitude... I've just becoming too attached to the old truck, and it's not in good enough condition to be worth selling. I will probably never get the money back that I'm putting into it. My original plan when buying it was to make it a project, never a daily driver. But now that it is my daily driver I don't want to ever say goodbye.

So as of right now, the plan is in about a month when I'm not so busy pouring money into the C20 to deal with the Nevada DMV and get the paperwork for the K1500... fix the intake manifold gaskets, catalytics converters, whatever else I need to do to get it running right and passing CA smog, and then get to the mods on that... when that's done I'll save up more and get the crate engine and rebuilt transmission for the C20, then move on to bodywork to make it nice looking again.

Then the hard decision I'll have to make each morning - which one to drive? lol

For now I need to bust my ass on my part time job at the computer store and my other work (I do website design+development) to pay for all this and let's see what happens. Still, once both my trucks are finished, (well, projects are never done, but you know what I mean) I'm still going to have two gas-guzzlers. Oh well, some things never change.

I've attached some pics of what I'd like my end result to be for both trucks. I do realize the C20 is the wrong color, though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  13. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    I was tell in a buddy of mine about this thread and how scary people are. I'm happy to see you has a catalytic converter issue - that makes room for even more lulz. Check it out ol boy...1 gallon of LAQUER THINNER per 10 gallons of gas = fixed cats. This is the kind of thread that just keeps on giving! Something in here for everyone. It's rare.
    Let's keep it real Mike, do you REALLY think your '98 will be on the road in 30 years? Not a chance huh? Wanna bet the '83 will be?

14. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Victim of Culture

First Name:
    Rusty
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20, K5
    Engine Size:
    350, 350
    I was tell in a buddy of mine about this thread and how scary people are. I'm happy to see you has a catalytic converter issue - that makes room for even more lulz. Check it out ol boy...1 gallon of LAQUER THINNER per 10 gallons of gas = fixed cats. This is the kind of thread that just keeps on giving! Something in here for everyone. It's rare.
    Let's keep it real Mike, do you REALLY think your '98 will be on the road in 30 years? Not a chance huh? Wanna bet the '83 will be? Hmmm...something to consider maybe. ;)

15. mistaake

First Name:
    Michael
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Crown Vic
    Engine Size:
    Scrubbed the truck clean. Not perfect but so, so much better.

[​IMG]

Lost the spare tire while driving yesterday. The truck's way of giving back thanking me for cleaning it?? I don't know, but it came out of the mount and got wedged between the mount, the frame, and the road. Made for an odd sensation, loud banging noise, and burning smell.

[​IMG]

I didn't thave a big enough socket or wrench to remove the tire mount so I just backed up slowly until the wire unwedged itself...

The weirdest shit always happens to me.