1980 Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srfinatsunset

Reaction score
First Name
Remington
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 Camper Special 3+3
Engine Size
So I am missing a cable but I don’t know where it goes. Where does the top cable go?
You must be registered for see images attach
The bottom cable goes to the rear of the transmission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Then the other side should be going to your speedometer. Does it work?

srfinatsunset

Reaction score
First Name
Remington
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 Camper Special 3+3
Engine Size
The Speedo works but from 0-30 it bounces around but then at 30 on it good and solid.

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The Speedo works but from 0-30 it bounces around but then at 30 on it good and solid.

Sounds like the cruise control transducer has been bypassed then with a non cruise control single speedometer cable. If you follow the cable from the transmission its probably going straight thru the firewall to the speedometer.

In your picture the top cable should go to the speedometer and the bottom should connect to the transmission.

I take it your cruise control doesn't work? I recently went thru the process of installing factory cruise in my 79' from junkyard parts so I'm pretty familiar with the system and parts if you have any questions.

I also have the 1968-82 GM cruise control service manual in pdf if you need it. It has several diagrams and schematics.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The bouncing is common. Mine do it, but I don't feel like lubing the cable unless I need to get in there for some reason. But yeah, what he said. It sounds like someone did bypass the cruise module with a regular cable. LMC Truck has the upper and lower cable, and other places have one or the other, but that's the only place I know that has both if you need them. I'd ask the guy above for help if you need it. I know older GM cruise control, but the 1984 and later style is much more familiar to me.

srfinatsunset

Reaction score
First Name
Remington
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 Camper Special 3+3
Engine Size
Sounds like the cruise control transducer has been bypassed then with a non cruise control single speedometer cable. If you follow the cable from the transmission its probably going straight thru the firewall to the speedometer.

In your picture the top cable should go to the speedometer and the bottom should connect to the transmission.

I take it your cruise control doesn't work? I recently went thru the process of installing factory cruise in my 79' from junkyard parts so I'm pretty familiar with the system and parts if you have any questions.

I also have the 1968-82 GM cruise control service manual in pdf if you need it. It has several diagrams and schematics.

Thanks a lot!!! I’m working on an issue we’re my battery draws overnight right now but I will keep you in mind. Next small project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC