1976 K15 Crossmember Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Branktm

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Just got the Tranny and transfer case back from rebuild. Its a turbo 350 tranny and the heavy 208 transfer case. I also bought a transfer case lowering kit from rough country to go with the lift. But from what i see it just lowers down the crossmember by 4 spacers. The weird think is my cross member has 6 bolts. 4 at bottom to each frame rail, and 2 more on the driver side the goes into the side of the frame. I have checked this forum looking for this cross member, i have seen the ones with 4 bolts, then others that have a bolted on side part like mine. But this is ALL one piece. think of it as an L shape, with the short end bolting up to the side of the frame and the rest under the frame.... Is this common? I cannot see how my transfer case lowering kit is going to work. It will lower it down but the side bolts wont be lined up. Sucks because it just got frame and cross member powder coated. Do i need to get a new crossmember? Is this factory? I am confused.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Just got the Tranny and transfer case back from rebuild. Its a turbo 350 tranny and the heavy 208 transfer case. I also bought a transfer case lowering kit from rough country to go with the lift. But from what i see it just lowers down the crossmember by 4 spacers. The weird think is my cross member has 6 bolts. 4 at bottom to each frame rail, and 2 more on the driver side the goes into the side of the frame. I have checked this forum looking for this cross member, i have seen the ones with 4 bolts, then others that have a bolted on side part like mine. But this is ALL one piece. think of it as an L shape, with the short end bolting up to the side of the frame and the rest under the frame.... Is this common? I cannot see how my transfer case lowering kit is going to work. It will lower it down but the side bolts wont be lined up. Sucks because it just got frame and cross member powder coated. Do i need to get a new crossmember? Is this factory? I am confused.
Pictures would help a lot... to see what you mean...
Is it something like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

this is a 78 k10 with a np203, this isnt what i think youre trying to say but Im just giving an example.

Can you show us what you speak of?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Pictures would help, but it sounds like you have a 2wd crossmember.

Branktm

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Pictures would help a lot... to see what you mean...
Is it something like this?

this is a 78 k10 with a np203, this isnt what i think youre trying to say but Im just giving an example.

Can you show us what you speak of?
Yes right concept but all one piece, not bolted on. Either way i called rough country who made the drop kit for the transfer case. Advised me that i didnt need to bolt in the sides and move on. I however drilled two holes into the frame to put bolts back in. But i also got a 3/16 metal plate made to put on inside of the frame. Will run bolts through original holes and new plate while also bolts through lower holes and plate. Probably overkill but might as well.

Branktm

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Oh here are pics of what im talking about

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh here are pics of what im talking about

Oh cool! Yet another 4x4 crossmember design! Normally just the 2wd style crossmember has that piece that goes up the side of the frame.

^^^The three on the left there are the other versions of 4x4 crossmember used in the era.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8