1976 GMC K15 "Clyde "

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macquestonm

Reaction score
First Name
Megan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-15
Engine Size
So... December proved to be an interesting month, My daughter and I inherited a 1976 GMC Step side "unicorn" now named Clyde.

This truck has a great history, it had a full body off restoration that was completed over 10 years ago. It was painstakingly restored, cared for, and loved by my ex- father in law Clyde. He bought it for a song - just 1,800 bucks, he kept every receipt and paper pertaining to this truck- I have the three files. It got to road worth and pretty, however as it sits today - it needs some serious up grades.

So I apologize ahead of time for all the dumb questions I'm likely going to ask here, but my daughter and I are up for the challenge to make this unicorn and her grandfathers dream of having a gorgeous head turning square body truck sitting in the drive way.

May the restore/ upgrade/ pocket draining commence!

Thanks for letting us join!

~Just two truck girls from RI
You must be registered for see images attach

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@macquestonm It looks like you already have "a gorgeous head turning square body truck sitting in the drive way." It will be even better if you can drive it around.

Why is it a "unicorn"?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow! Stunning truck! And welcome.
Interested what kind of upgrades you think it needs? The body certainly looks like new!

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle, Ma'am.
That's a good lookin truck.

macquestonm

Reaction score
First Name
Megan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-15
Engine Size
Redfish-

Clyde’s paint has gone to a patina finish.. it’s a kidney punch kinda ride. My daughter wants to upgrade the motor and make it more drivable- kids these days. It has a unique wheel well cut out for the spare tire to ride there. Have yet to see another with it. I’m also told short bed step side in 4x4 is “rare”. It may not be a unicorn to you but to us it’s a unicorn.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome from N. Texas~!~

Nice looking step side truck. A smooth 1975 Cadillac kind of ride in a solid axle 4x4 truck are mutually exclusive. As we say in Texan: ain't never gonna happen!

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Welcome from the Motor City, Great looking GMC !
It deserves a GMC Grille. The ‘75-‘76 GMC grille is one of the most sought after. I see them for sale on eBay, usually $150-$400

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Redfish-

Clyde’s paint has gone to a patina finish.. it’s a kidney punch kinda ride. My daughter wants to upgrade the motor and make it more drivable- kids these days. It has a unique wheel well cut out for the spare tire to ride there. Have yet to see another with it. I’m also told short bed step side in 4x4 is “rare”. It may not be a unicorn to you but to us it’s a unicorn.

A few Redfish Thoughts...

These trucks in 4wd ride rough. Kidney Punch is a good description.

I don't like the "upgrade" of a modern motor but I understand the appeal. And it will probably make the value go up too...although some would argue that. The reality of Barrett Jackson, Mecum and BringaTrailer is that a "restomod" sells for more.

I noticed the spare tire location but your pic doesn't show it very well. Looks like a USMC cover over the spare as well.

4WD square bodies are less common than 2WD. Stepside 4WDs are even more rare. So yes, it is a lot less common but not quite a unicorn. The fact that it is in such good shape, is a 4WD, is a stepside, has the fender mod for the spare, AND was your father-in-law's truck does make it a Unicorn.

By the way, if you want to tag a member in your post and don't use the Quote button on the bottom right of the screen you can use the @ symbol and type the username with no space between. Like this: @macquestonm

Please post some more pics of this excellent truck if you don't mind.

DrvnDrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe the bed was from the previous generation stepside.
Unicorn for sure.
In Rhode Island no less. WOW

Last edited:

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10