1975 GMC Dually C35 Camper Special 454 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cla2090

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35 Sierra Camper Special
Engine Size
Hi, I've owned this dually since 1998. Love it! All original, except tail gate. My insurance company is trying to undervalue the truck. It had minor damage until the tow truck backed into it and pushed the front end into the fan shroud, from the front passenger quarter panel. Now the passenger door won't open and seems to have damaged the frame there, whereas it had only effected the bumper and radiator before that happened. I desperately need help here. I had just put around 2K into a new Hydro-boost brake/steering pump/power steering box. All maintenance was done on time. I pulled a 4 horse gooseneck with living quarters, so was meticulous with the engine. Bad part, rust is an issue, but had found someone to take care of the bodywork, and paint for 5K. Insurance claims a 4K value, where previous insurance claimed 11K, no matter body condition as long as it was in working order. How do I fight this? I had full coverage on the truck.
Thanks!

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Get Classic car stated value insurance. Several companies provide this.

Just my opinion.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree with Jim. Also, @HotRodPC knows about the Mickey Mouse **** insurance companies try to pull. Maybe he can offer some suggestions.

Cla2090

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes, thanks guys. I'll try to get some information from @HotRodPC . Too late to get different insurance, but I will do so going forward.

Cla2090

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I agree with Jim. Also, @HotRodPC knows about the Mickey Mouse **** insurance companies try to pull. Maybe he can offer some suggestions.
Hopefully he'll see this post, I'm unable to send a message directly. Thanks

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
He’s an admin so he should be dropping by sooner rather than later.

Cla2090

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
X2 with the haggerty or other collectible auto insurance. Most non collectible auto insurance go by the year and do not give you the true value of the vehicle. Old vehicle doesn’t mean easy and cheap to replace imo.

Cla2090

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
X2 with the haggerty or other collectible auto insurance. Most non collectible auto insurance go by the year and do not give you the true value of the vehicle. Old vehicle doesn’t mean easy and cheap to replace imo.
So true! A truck that can handle the same job costs as small fortune. I'm looking into fixing the truck, but was made wary of using to tow my 6500 (empty) 4 horse trailer. That the frame damage from the tow company, not the fender bender, would make it dangerous. I won't know for certain until they get into the job.
Are there any trucks around this year, or websites that you know of that could give me a valuation closer to the truck true value? They keep leaning on the fact that the truck needs some body work due to rust. I am going by the "work" value and engine, since it is a Camper Special. I just can not find the same truck anywhere in the USA, only one in Egypt several years ago.
Any suggestions would be appreciated for the valuation.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
i have dealt with this type of thing a few times.

Ask the insurance company to send you a list of the vehicles that they are using to determine the value. i have had them use other vehicles that to set the price that were wrecked/bad shape/wrong models/ect. once you have those, check the locations, they are suppose to be in in your area, not 3000 miles away. It also helps to mention that your model of vecical cost more to replace in what ever area your in (that is providing that the ones they compare to are a long ways away).

If the vehicles they are using to set the value dosnt match what you have then tell them you have a list of some that are local and why the other ones dont match. Send them the 2 or 3 that are the most expensive you can find that are local. The will fight you a little but they should raise the price they are willing to pay out.

Also if there a long ways away, then i have told them that i will shop that market if they want to also include mileage and time for me to go get a replacement in those areas.

Make sure you keep track of everything, i normally wright down names and times of who i talk to and keep every email and your response to them. Lots of times they try to give you the run around until you give up, you have to keep after them. you never really get to talk to the same person more than 1 time either but its good to keep the names. That way when one person tells you one thing and someone else says they can you can tell them who said it can be done.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
^^^^ He says good things.

When my VW was totaled by my insurance company, I sent them 42 different vehicles that were the same make and model as mine.
All of them were a bit more expensive than I would have valued mine at, but hey, they aren't making them any more or getting any cheaper.

Do your homework and send them as much information as you can.

I got $5500 for my little bug that way....

Cla2090

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hi, climb-101 thanks for the advice! I'm having trouble finding any comps for my truck that aren't showroom condition, so they are saying those are collector's pricing, not daily driver types. I had just started getting prices for a paint job, and restore. She has some rust, so they want to use that against me, and a chunk out of the fender from a hit and run, and the other side from loaning it out once. But, those are just small things, and fixable in my mind. Insurance is trying to make an argument over it, so I'm trying to find pricey rusty trucks. I've found a few-just none local. Also, so many Ford's on the market! So cheap! They really don't compare, but I think that must be part of what they are using. I'll ask for that list! Best advice ever!! KBB starts lowest price at 10,009. Couldn't figure how they got to 4000. This list of comps they have should be rather entertaining. I'll post it when they send it to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84