1975 Chevy k10 fuel gauge kinda of works.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I’ve read forum after forum and messed with it but can’t get any further. My fuel gauge used to work but i tore it apart to start restoring it about 3-4 years back. And it’s been problem after problem with this truck. It was stuck somewhere inbetween E and F but I cleaned the ground and then it went to the 3 o’clock position. I have a test light and the wire from the sending unit makes it light up dim, I assume because it would only be sending like 22 ohms. If I take the test light and ground it and check the left side of the back of the fuel gauge terminal it lights up and the gauge will work. Take the light off it goes back to 3 o’clock. If I clamp the ground of the test light to the power side of the gauge and touch the ground with the point it lights up which tells me it has a ground. If I put the clamp on the reading side and check the ground it’ll work. If I clamp the wire close to the sending unit and check the ground the gauge works and vise versa. A few people say ground problem but why would it work with the test light on it? I’ve changed the gauge and it worked the same way. So it’s not the gauge, it’s not the power wire, and it’s not the sending wire. The only part of the ground I can’t clean is the top of the sending unit. Little side note that has no importance to this is I’ve named the truck Murphy since something else stops working after I fix something. I swear it lives by Murphy’s law. Hence it’s name.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD