1973 upper ignition housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Figured out a section of the pot metal snapped in side my ignition housing on my non tilt column. Ordered a replacement and figured out that 73 was slightly larger in diameter and had a different shift detent plate. Anybody got some 73 non tilt column parts?

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I have a 73 3 spd on the column that's good for parts. I switched to an automatic after I got it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Have you got a pic. I have a bunch of column parts. The columns should all be the same except for tilt, and non tilt. A pic would be really helpful.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Have you got a pic. I have a bunch of column parts. The columns should all be the same except for tilt, and non tilt. A pic would be really helpful.

This is what's left of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I did find this I believe goes with it.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
@custodian @Mr Clean - After posting here, I checked marketplace and found a guy about 10minutes away that had a complete 73 non tilt automatic, column for 40$.
Literally just seeing yalls replies right now.

If we’re talking 73-83 columns with the skinny turn signal lever, there’s def a handful of slight differences…Besides the shift detent mounting directions, the post’s (both in number and how the plate screws in) that the shift detent Is mounted on, if the lock cylinder has a locking tab or retaining screw, if the lower shaft is splined in or held in with a square notched bolt.

*almost* all of the 73-83 non tilts have the same internals. But there were definitely changes..hell even between the early 70s c/k and the mid/late 70s c/k columns had different stuff inside. Here’s a couple pics showing some minor differences

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
@custodian @Mr Clean - After posting here, I checked marketplace and found a guy about 10minutes away that had a complete 73 non tilt automatic, column for 40$.
Literally just seeing yalls replies right now.

If we’re talking 73-83 columns with the skinny turn signal lever, there’s def a handful of slight differences…Besides the shift detent mounting directions, the post’s (both in number and how the plate screws in) that the shift detent Is mounted on, if the lock cylinder has a locking tab or retaining screw, if the lower shaft is splined in or held in with a square notched bolt.

*almost* all of the 73-83 non tilts have the same internals. But there were definitely changes..hell even between the early 70s c/k and the mid/late 70s c/k columns had different stuff inside. Here’s a couple pics showing some minor differences

Well thanks for sharing that John. As many columns I have torn apart, or rebuilt I had no clue there was a change of little things, that could cause a huge head ache if you didn't know. I knew there is a difference in between the tilt, and non tilt, and obviously the difference in the 73 to mid 83, and the mid 83 to 91 with the high beam switches, windshield wiper switch on the stalk. I guess I'll be a bit more careful when I take a column apart, or rebuild one, not just to throw the extra parts in the same box...LOL

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
Well thanks for sharing that John. As many columns I have torn apart, or rebuilt I had no clue there was a change of little things, that could cause a huge head ache if you didn't know. I knew there is a difference in between the tilt, and non tilt, and obviously the difference in the 73 to mid 83, and the mid 83 to 91 with the high beam switches, windshield wiper switch on the stalk. I guess I'll be a bit more careful when I take a column apart, or rebuild one, not just to throw the extra parts in the same box...LOL
Yeah man, always figured it was more or less all the same as long as it was from the same era, or from tilt to tilt, or non tilt to non tilt. Rebuilt a tilt column for an 88 blazer, using the tilt internals from an obs column and everything was fine lol. The upper housing I got off ebay that said 73-83 clearly didn’t work for me tho.
Fully agreed on saving EVERYTHING tho, it’s one of the best perks of working at a classic/vintage garage. Can’t tell ya how many folks don’t ask for their old/original stuff after repairs. I’ve amassed nearly enough parts and hardware to piece together half a square at this point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes