1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1973 K20 350 to 454 swap

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Craig Nedrow, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Craig Nedrow

Craig Nedrow Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    The lock ring will almost let the bearing through, where as the race against the lock ring would not. However when assembling, you would need to drop the bearing with the big side out, then pound the race past the retainer ring groove, install the ring, flip the hub over, and seat the race against the ring. Then keyed washer, adjuster nut, lock ring, jam nut. This does not seem logical, but neither is math nor women. Pic is how the bearing would be installed, race on the inside, bearing, keyed washer, lock nut and etc.

IMG_2970~photo.JPG

2. Craig Nedrow

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    Solved! here is a perfect video to help you install the hub bearings correctly. This guy said the manual stated if you put the bearings in wrong, the axle could work it's way out, like mine did. So foo to town to get the inner bearings, as I got the wrong ones yesterday. Bugger. Here is the video link:

akchevrolet likes this.
  3. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    Yep, the outer was backwards. That would put a lot of outward pressure on everything and cause the failure you had. Hope you're up an running soon.

By the way, I love the look of your truck. Growing up in the 70's, this was the exact look I wanted for a truck when I eventually got my license.

Craig Nedrow likes this.
  4. Craig Nedrow

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    Yep Craig85, I got er' done, and works good, 188.00 dollar mistake, but at least I have all new bearings and seals, brakes, so it should last awhile. Took the dogs for a ride and hubs nice and cool. I will run it around for a few miles, and get it warm, and then dump the rearend oil and hopefully that will remove any contaminates and it makes me feel good. Also Craig85, what and how did you do the frame on paint, Brush? Now I want to pull the box off and really clean up the back half, and also get the Pollak tank switching valve fixed so I can use both tanks. Love the K30, has the perfect stance. Also the 454 is running very well with 60 lbs oil pressure running down the road. The Carter AFB carb is to small, and has a bad bog even though I have given it the best shot on the accelerator pump linkage. Just need a few fittings for the Holley to put that on , and am sure that will be a far superior carb arrangement. Want to work on the truck, but finishing up most of the wiring in the shop today, I officially have three phase power now! Also for those interested, I am setting on the front porch watching a herd of elk. Nice.

akchevrolet, Craig 85 and idahovette like this.
  5. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    My frame was really clean to begin with only needing a minor scrub and cleaning. I used Duplicolor engine enamel w/ ceramic #DE 1635 Semi-Gloss black spray paint. Makes touch ups easy.

[​IMG]

6. Craig Nedrow

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    Been driving the K20 around, and very pleased with everything so far. Will dump rear end oil soon. Made a video of a car a childhood buddy was working, made a bracket. Love that Chevy power!!!

Ready to tackle the Dana 44 front now.

7. Craig Nedrow

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    Have a question or two as this is a new area of learning for me. The K20 front axle is a dana 44 standard rotation stock original, and the hubs do not work. Therefore next week I am planning a R and R of the hubs, drain the oil, service the u joints etc. I am certain this is an open diff, and was mulling the idea of doing basically the same thing to the front as I did with the rear; lunchbox locker. Since this has hubs, a Spartin locker, Aussie locker and etc. would have good road manners as well because the hubs are acting like an open spool. Even locked in mud or snow, seems like this type setup would be relatively inexpensive, but still very effective. My main concern would be how it goes down the road locked. Am I on the right track with my thinking?

8. akchevrolet

akchevrolet Full Access Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    Im kinda jealous. Always wanted to go elk hunting

Craig Nedrow likes this.