1973 chevy c10 parking brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watonka

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
On my 1973 i have replaced both front brake calipers and taken apart and reassembled the rear brakes and checked the parking brake cables and am about to replace the master cylinder. My brake light is still illuminated on the dash. Is there a sensor or some other techincal piece to check to turn that light off. I have checked the emergency brake in the cab and i can not find anything that makes that light iluminate and i want it off if it is not engaged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
There is a brake proportioning valve mounted in the brake lines, located on the drivers side near the lower corner of the fan shroud . It’s a small metal block with all the brake lines connected.

The prop valve has a one-wire electrical connection in the middle, connected to a small plunger/pin. If brake pressure is too low on either front or rear (big leak, etc.) it moves the plunger all the way one direction, and turns on the brake light.

Once you get all the brakes fixed and bled, you can usually recenter the valve and turn off the light by getting up to about 25 mph and stomping on the brakes a few times.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I believe there is a plunger reset on the end of the valve body

disenough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brice
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I wound try what 75gmck25 suggested first. The reset plungers usually start leaking after pressing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito