14 bolt ff locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I got a 14 bolt FF in the back of my v30, any ideas and good companies to recommend to make this thing a true posi? Cheaper the better.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
It's kind of confusing, you need to know what the current gearset and carrier is depending on the route you decide to go. Some fit inside the factory carrier and some replace it completely. Detroit locker seems to be the go to for quite a few guys, some guys put a lunch box locker in and there's guys on the forum that have welded it up solid with success. I'm sure someone smarter than me on diffs will chime in, I know there's a differential sticky I believe on this in another section of the forum that has some id stuff and other info.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Ok thanks brother

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Here's a picture with the diff cover off.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
What are you trying to do? Off-road, on-road, just burnouts? You can tell what the gear ratio is by looking at the numbers stamped into the outside of the ring gear. 41-11 would mean it's a 4.10:1 ratio.

Turn one wheel and see if the other wheel turns the same direction. If it moves the same direction you have a factory Gov-loc. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction you have an open carrier.

The cheapest, easiest, and strongest option is to install a lunch box locker like the detroit or a Yukon Grizzly. They replace the spider gears inside the carrier and don't require you to change or adjust anything else if you don't want to. If you have a gov-lock, you have to either get an open carrier to install a locker or get a limited slip that replaces the whole carrier.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Options are somewhat limited for the 14ff.

posi — g80 or truetrac

lockers — Detroit, Griz or ARB air locker

there may be some other lesser known options, but those are the known ones. My g80 always worked well. Some will tell you they will blow up easily, but I’m not 100% convinced that’s the case for the 14ff version unless your are not maintaining it or being really hard on it. This is of course anecdotal, just from talking to diff guys.

I now have a Detroit. It’s great for a wheeler, pretty indestructible, but has drawbacks. Mostly, it can engage when you don’t want or need it to and some people have reported scary scenarios when driving in snow or towing on the freeway.

I’ve heard almost all good things about the truetrac. It’s supposed to be really tough. If you don’t put a wheel up in the air aka you are 99% of the drivers in the real world, it seems like a great traction device. Never had one though.

I have an ARB waiting to go in because in my head, it’s the best of both worlds. Open for daily driving, closed when you need it. Though it may not be as reliable as a Detroit, my diff guy said every air leak he’s diagnosed and fixed has come down to initial installation error by the end user.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
What are you trying to do? Off-road, on-road, just burnouts? You can tell what the gear ratio is by looking at the numbers stamped into the outside of the ring gear. 41-11 would mean it's a 4.10:1 ratio.

Turn one wheel and see if the other wheel turns the same direction. If it moves the same direction you have a factory Gov-loc. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction you have an open carrier.

The cheapest, easiest, and strongest option is to install a lunch box locker like the detroit or a Yukon Grizzly. They replace the spider gears inside the carrier and don't require you to change or adjust anything else if you don't want to. If you have a gov-lock, you have to either get an open carrier to install a locker or get a limited slip that replaces the whole carrier.
Need ass much traction as possible for plowing, plowing up hills, hunting property ect... This is also a dump truck that needs to be able to carry heavy loads, and posi dually burnouts sound fun

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Here's what she says

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Maybe this is a better view

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Looks like 41 and 10 = 4.10, 41 and 11 would be 3.73 (said earlier to be a 4.10) anyway I run a (detroit drop in) in my 14 bolt on my k5 and it has been great. The nice thing is you dont have to re-set up the gear's, just mark and back off the slide callers , unbolt the ring gear to split the carrier , put in the locker and put back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robo