14 bolt axle tubes are… coming out????!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Sometimes I see things that aren’t out of place but they seem to be. But I definitely recall this being not the same way before my last haul.

they appear to be moving

what do I do
You must be registered for see images attach

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
You're good. That's what they look like

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You're good. That's what they look like
So it’s just oil seepage? Maybe I blocked my vent tube which is open ended and has no valve? It’s time for a flush anyway… it’s gonna be a few gallons tho…rip

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Could be seepage, could be road grime, the spot weld might have a pinhole. A 14 bolt holds 3.5 quarts of oil but don't worry about measuring. Just fill it until it comes out of the hole. 80-90W is normal gear oil weight

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This your trailer axle?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even on a driven axle, the tube can have more movement and still not be an issue.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This your trailer axle?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even on a driven axle, the tube can have more movement and still not be an issue.

Yes.
Could be seepage, could be road grime, the spot weld might have a pinhole. A 14 bolt holds 3.5 quarts of oil but don't worry about measuring. Just fill it until it comes out of the hole. 80-90W is normal gear oil weight
Oh no we got at least a gallon maybe close to two. Lollllll

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This your trailer axle?

How close should the u bolts be to the spring pack, it looks like one side maybe walked a little outward so maybe it’s just a tiny bit of side to play and that’s what made me think it came from the tubes ? I didn’t look at the u bolts before I pressure washed so I don’t know if they have been wandering

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How close should the u bolts be to the spring pack, it looks like one side maybe walked a little outward so maybe it’s just a tiny bit of side to play and that’s what made me think it came from the tubes ? I didn’t look at the u bolts before I pressure washed so I don’t know if they have been wandering

I don't think I follow? Ideally, the u-bolts will be right up against the spring pack... but I've seen people install them all sprawled out.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't think I follow? Ideally, the u-bolts will be right up against the spring pack... but I've seen people install them all sprawled out.
It looks further out at the base of the perch and doesn’t perfectly hug them. I’m saying if I should loosen any like that then crank em down

basically it walked away from the pack but the pack hasn’t twisted or the axle hasn’t twisted at most it just would have been able to possibly vibrate maybe

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
See how the one is further and I believe it visually looks like it may be pointed outward as in its tight but not flush against stuff. But the other side is. The plates have holes that are larger, yes? So the bolt could be off kilter a tiny bit or maybe it was bent. I have a **** load of u bolts and plates for these so not too worried

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
See how the one is further and I believe it visually looks like it may be pointed outward as in its tight but not flush against stuff. But the other side is. The plates have holes that are larger, yes? So the bolt could be off kilter a tiny bit or maybe it was bent. I have a **** load of u bolts and plates for these so not too worried

Yeah, that's fairly normal. It's probably just how it was installed to begin with.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@bucket,

Who did the welding on the axle tube you showed? As a professional welder I have all kinds of questions about that weld, and it's already cracked all the way around to begin with and that's only part of the problem. If you want to save that axle have a professional welder clean that up and have him weld a solid fillet on that end of the tube up against the housing flange. Of a whole book of things I could say about it, that's all I'm going to suggest. But seriously, if you want to save that tube, and what does the other side look like, have these welded up please, correctly. I hate seeing what someone who thinks they know how to weld, pass for welding. Otherwise throw this rear end away because they are dangerous to drive it like this. The only thing keeping this axle under your truck is it's bolted to the spring packs. This weld and probably the other side as well is....not correct and not to hurt someone's feelings, but they suck and are wrong...period!
I'm just thinking about your safety.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@bucket,

Who did the welding on the axle tube you showed? As a professional welder I have all kinds of questions about that weld, and it's already cracked all the way around to begin with and that's only part of the problem. If you want to save that axle have a professional welder clean that up and have him weld a solid fillet on that end of the tube up against the housing flange. Of a whole book of things I could say about it, that's all I'm going to suggest. But seriously, if you want to save that tube, and what does the other side look like, have these welded up please, correctly. I hate seeing what someone who thinks they know how to weld, pass for welding. Otherwise throw this rear end away because they are dangerous to drive it like this. The only thing keeping this axle under your truck is it's bolted to the spring packs. This weld and probably the other side as well is....not correct and not to hurt someone's feelings, but they suck and are wrong...period!
I'm just thinking about your safety.

I don't know who welded it, it's been that way for years. I know it was that way when the PO had it out of the truck too. The tube is actually still press fit in there to some degree and the other side shows no signs of movement. It's primarily an offroad truck and doesn't see much street use. It actually sees none of anything right now, as I still need to make some engine repairs.

I intended to repair it myself when the time comes, and I'm open to helpful pointers on the matter from someone like you that is more knowledgeable about welding to cast materials. Then I also want to install a DIY4X truss for a little more strength.

https://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17684&cat=247&page=1

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@bucket

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. I can see how it goes on but what are those "arms" supposed to do? Are you supposed to weld the ends of those "arms" to the axle tubes? And that is supposed to keep the tubes from slipping out? Gee. What I have in mind would require the removal and complete disassembly of the rear end to repair it correctly. But you guys are always doing that sort of stuff anyway aren't you?
I was thinking about my 'ol '64 Dodge Dart and my hopped up Slant Six I had in '72 and the stuff I had on hand but couldn't do it all myself, and what I could have done to that little screamer if I had just had one guy to help me back then. Just a helping hand was all I needed and no one I knew couldn't tell you a wrench from a screw driver. I was the lone hot rodder. I used to work on my '69 Charger by myself to, it's like I'm still doing the same thing, working on my stuff by myself.
So if you've got somebody to help you pull that rear end, do it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just get some chewing gum. The good kind, not sugar free, get the good ****. Just chew it up, then roll it between your hands to make like a worm out of it. Then wrap the tube with it right up against the 3rd member housing. You'll be good to go. Might take about a pack of gum per side, but that'll fix it right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08