02 Cluster in a 73 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Does anyone know of a write up in installing a 2002 gauge cluster in my 73 C10 that I'm swapping in the 5.3. I especially need to know how to wire the cluster.

Also, does anyone have the pin readouts for the connector that goes on the top of the 2002 gauge cluster connector.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Maybe it's just too early, but I'm a little confused reading this. Are you installing a cluster from a 2002 Donor vehicle? What is the vehicle? Or is this an O2 gauge? Is the 5.3 from the same vehicle? Are you using a 0411 ECU to run the 5.3?

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Maybe it's just too early, but I'm a little confused reading this. Are you installing a cluster from a 2002 Donor vehicle? What is the vehicle? Or is this an O2 gauge? Is the 5.3 from the same vehicle? Are you using a 0411 ECU to run the 5.3?

Yes to the 02 gauge cluster, Yes to the 5.3 swap. and Yes to the 0411 ECM. Swapping into the 73 C10.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Here's one way to do it

You must be registered for see images attach

The late model gauges work completely different from the early stuff in our trucks and are not compatible. you will have to get the entire dash harness to go with the gauges and possibly the BCM.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
There are sender adapters available that allow your existing senders to thread into the LS block keeping your existing gauges. You will need a pass through VSS signal generator that will create a VSS pulse for the 0411 PCM while retaining your cable driven speedo.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Okay, this is my swap. 2002 5.3 Silverado with the 2002 4l60e. My computer has already been flashed, wire harness for the engine ready to go. Now just want to incorporate the 2002 gauges. I know it can be done, seen several pics of a modified square bezel with the 02 gauge cluster.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Here's one way to do it

The late model gauges work completely different from the early stuff in our trucks and are not compatible. you will have to get the entire dash harness to go with the gauges and possibly the BCM.

I like the looks of that, but just want to modify the square bezel.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
If start by looking at the original applications wiring schematic to the gauge cluster. If all of the gauges originally got their signal direct from the ecu, you should be good to go. If they went through any other modules it’s going to be harder.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Okay, this is my swap. 2002 5.3 Silverado with the 2002 4l60e. My computer has already been flashed, wire harness for the engine ready to go. Now just want to incorporate the 2002 gauges. I know it can be done, seen several pics of a modified square bezel with the 02 gauge cluster.
I might be wrong but the 02 cluster may be class 2 time period(not sure when it came to trucks), but there is either an instrument panel cluster module or a body control module that controls the information sent(and handle diagnostics, communications with other modules like the ECM, etc) and you would need to be able to communicate on its class 2

but, i did a quick google, and it seems 2003 should be the first year of class 2 data bus communications in gm light duty trucks... so you might have a lot easier time with an 02 cluster, but it still will require finding the right data lines, the right senders, powering a module.. i just forsee a lot of extra work for an ugly (IMO) cluster.

You may be better off with a late 80s to mid 90s buick, olds, cadillac instrument clusters that were rectangle and could be optioned electronic or fully gauged(For a car), just a thought. the width of a standard cluster with all but a fuel gauge i think is about the same width as a square, if not close. i dont think pontiac(maybe an old bonneville?) had any rectangular clusters, but you may look at F bodies. they had some cool clusters depending on division, trim, year, etc

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
If start by looking at the original applications wiring schematic to the gauge cluster. If all of the gauges originally got their signal direct from the ecu, you should be good to go. If they went through any other modules it’s going to be harder.

Printed off the gauge wire diagram. Will look through the donor truck for anything else that might go with it.

I have an old bezel that I'm going to cut up and mount the gauges to see what all I need to do.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
I might be wrong but the 02 cluster may be class 2 time period(not sure when it came to trucks), but there is either an instrument panel cluster module or a body control module that controls the information sent(and handle diagnostics, communications with other modules like the ECM, etc) and you would need to be able to communicate on its class 2

but, i did a quick google, and it seems 2003 should be the first year of class 2 data bus communications in gm light duty trucks... so you might have a lot easier time with an 02 cluster, but it still will require finding the right data lines, the right senders, powering a module.. i just forsee a lot of extra work for an ugly (IMO) cluster.

You may be better off with a late 80s to mid 90s buick, olds, cadillac instrument clusters that were rectangle and could be optioned electronic or fully gauged(For a car), just a thought. the width of a standard cluster with all but a fuel gauge i think is about the same width as a square, if not close. i dont think pontiac(maybe an old bonneville?) had any rectangular clusters, but you may look at F bodies. they had some cool clusters depending on division, trim, year, etc

To be honest, I don't care if you think it's "ugly". I'm not building this truck for you. I've seen several with these gauges and that's what I'm doing.

I didn't ask opinions on which gauges to use. I asked about a write up and wiring on the 2002 gauges.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
To be honest, I don't care if you think it's "ugly". I'm not building this truck for you. I've seen several with these gauges and that's what I'm doing.

I didn't ask opinions on which gauges to use. I asked about a write up and wiring on the 2002 gauges.
okay offense was NOT intended, I was trying to chime in on difficulty but came back around to confirm 2002 was the last year(so either by luck or research you figured that out) that its... practicle. Relatively speaking. If you can find a harness or module that would communicate on class 2 and allow you to wire your sending units to it, it would be the best bet. if you tried to go solo, youre in for a lot of electrical work.

I wasnt trying to say not to do it, i was just offering suggestions if that was not something you were going to pursue that not many people know about (dimensionally speaking).

I do hope you find your modules and successfully put it in and find a good way to secure it, my apologies. If you go the old fashion route I suggest factory service manuals for GMC or chevy light duty truck to get all relevant wiring diagrams and to understand the relationship between the IPC and the BCM and its expected inputs from an ECM

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I have a pretty beatup bezel if you want one to practice on, I think thats badass I have always wondered myself on what it would take to wire in newer gauges, might be able to pull alot of info from the OBD port, fuel gauge should be the same ohms, please keep us updated on progress

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115