Write up: Gas Tank Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well ****. Went out and disconnected the other line, and NO, i'm on the right line. If pushes some fuel out while in the cranking mode, but not much and none at all in just the ON position. I was sure hoping it would work.

Speaking of fuel lines. I guess I should try to try and save all the fuel line I can from the Burb for the K10 huh? Cuz it needs to be high pressure line. I'll have to replace all the fuel line on the K10 to be TBI compatible.

Yup. Gonna have to find a way to shorten the lines too but at least too much is a good thing.

Your gonna have to run a jumper wire to the relay then and run it right off the battery, I think that is what I did the more I think about it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One thing I'm not is a TBI Guru. I've tuned them, ran codes and such, but TBI was basically newer when I was wrenching in the 80's and early 90's, so there weren't many broke down TBI units yet. Speaking of TBI... Where's Jim been. I know he posts on FB but not here. So did someone piss him off or what??? Maybe he's on FB by phone. :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So where is this Fuel Pump Relay?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
One thing I'm not is a TBI Guru. I've tuned them, ran codes and such, but TBI was basically newer when I was wrenching in the 80's and early 90's, so there weren't many broke down TBI units yet. Speaking of TBI... Where's Jim been. I know he posts on FB but not here. So did someone piss him off or what??? Maybe he's on FB by phone. :shrug:

He's ok, I talked to him the other day. He's been kind of down missing his Square Burb, and coming here didn't help the mood. Sure do miss his help around here though. Like I said in your Burb thread, some guys here are having a tough time here these holidays that we don't know about. Hopefully he'll come back around.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
He's ok, I talked to him the other day. He's been kind of down missing his Square Burb, and coming here didn't help the mood. Sure do miss his help around here though. Like I said in your Burb thread, some guys here are having a tough time here these holidays that we don't know about. Hopefully he'll come back around.

Gotcha. I can sure understand his position. Both missing his Burb, and around the holidays etc. Just so long as he's not butt hurt over some drama here that I missed. I just PM'ed him. I"m sure he'll respond when he's ready.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So where is this Fuel Pump Relay?

I just figured out why it isn't pumping, you have no oil pressure key on, NOT cranking, so the oil press switch isn't kicking the relay on.

The relay is on the firewall above the A/C housing, Pass side. Here is a diagram:

Relay should be hanging upside down with a big red wire, a tan/white, an orange, a black/white, and a dark green white.

Unplug the relay and just run a jumper between the orange and red wires and turn the key on.

Or you can pull the oil pressure plug and bypass it there.

Here is diagrams you can download onto your phone to take outside with you:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Scratch that HR the tan/white wire is the feed to the fuel pump. Sorry. LOL

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
I was thinking about having the fuel door in the same place that a suburban is but on the drive side. I know I would have to modify the tank some. Has anyone tried that? Old77 could you give me the link to that website where the filler neck is behind the taillight please.

Thank you

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I was thinking about having the fuel door in the same place that a suburban is but on the drive side. I know I would have to modify the tank some. Has anyone tried that? Old77 could you give me the link to that website where the filler neck is behind the taillight please.

Thank you

Might have to notch out a void too, where the inner panel meets the bed floor for fill tube clearance.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
I figured I could use the same panel as a suburban does on the inside on it. Right now all I have is a 16 gallon tank. This truck is a 4x4 crew cab short bed with a 454 and a 400 turbo. 16 gallons isn't going to get me too far down the road lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Scratch that HR the tan/white wire is the feed to the fuel pump. Sorry. LOL

So are you saying jump the big red one to the tan/white feed wire instead of orange? And still this need the key in the on position to power the Red wire right? Fuggin outta gas in the K1500, I need to get this fuel out of this thing.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So are you saying jump the big red one to the tan/white feed wire instead of orange? And still this need the key in the on position to power the Red wire right? Fuggin outta gas in the K1500, I need to get this fuel out of this thing.

Just run a jumper to the tan/white wire from the positive battery post.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Any 12v+ hot to the red wire coming off the fuel pump relay connector will kick the pump on. I used some speaker wire and a battery to drain the tanks on my 87' when I had the whole front clip off the truck (so no local battery).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just run a jumper to the tan/white wire from the positive battery post.

Ok, that will work and be HOT HOT, no key needed and it'll be pissing fuel like a Camel after drinking a 55 gallon drum of water. Just wanted to be sure. Didn't want to cross up the wrong wires and start frying fusible links, fuses and relays since I don't the know the vehicle that well, then wouldn't know if it were previous issues or issues I caused.

I've already found one problem with this thing. E brake off, in N, no roll or hand push. I think the rear brake drum drag. I did drive it home just over 2 miles and it seemed to run fine. Trans hit OD, converter locked up and all, although the 1-2 shift seemed a bit firm. I figured it was cuz the trans wasn't warmed up and hadn't circulated fluid in awhile. I didn't **** around with it and let it warm up. I started it, and got down with the program and got it home before it had a chance to overheat or seize the motor with all the water in the crankcase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trchno