Worth it to rebuild A/C?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
My k5 had A/C at one point in time, but it doesn't appear to have worked any time recently. As best as I can tell all I'm missing is the compressor, compressor mount, a couple of rubber vacuum hoses, and one of the hard lines going to the radiator.

The question is how pricey is it going to get to have the A/C back in working order. I assume some gaskets will need replacing, probably need to flush the system... any help from those more experienced than me would be appreciated.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Need compressor, dryer, lines, maybe condenser and refrigirant. Probably looking at $350-$500 range. More if someone else working on it

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
If you are serious about it and want it to be reliable, buy only a new 'R4' compressor or change over to an aftermarket design, i.e. Sanden (will require custom lines/hoses). Rebuilt R4s don't have a good reputation (they weren't the greatest when they were new either). You will end up spending more in the long run with a rebuilt with failures, contamination and loss of refrigerant.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
Need compressor, dryer, lines, maybe condenser and refrigirant. Probably looking at $350-$500 range. More if someone else working on it

Ouch. I definitely don't have that in the budget. I may just leave it like it is for now and reevaluate later. Got a lot of upgrades to do that I consider more important than cold air. Thanks.

If you are serious about it and want it to be reliable, buy only a new 'R4' compressor or change over to an aftermarket design, i.e. Sanden (will require custom lines/hoses). Rebuilt R4s don't have a good reputation (they weren't the greatest when they were new either). You will end up spending more in the long run with a rebuilt with failures, contamination and loss of refrigerant.

Sounds like this is going to cost more than I anticipated. Think I'll put it on the back burner and come back to the issue later. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1