Won't start, no gas in filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well it runs all day as long as you keep shooting starter fluid in the carb. So hopefully it's the pump and not the sending unit.

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess the filter sock on the sending unit could be clogged, but other than that it doesn't have any role in delivering fuel to your carb. It only tells your gas gauge how much fuel is in the tank.. Sounds like you are on the right track with replacing the pump.

I just replaced both tanks, fuel selector valve, fuel lines, and fuel pump. Make sure you have the pushrod above the lever on the pump when installing the fuel pump (there is a set bolt but I just hold the rod up with a flat piece of banding metal to hold the rod up while I stab the new pump into position). Also I bought a $20 pump at OReillys and it lasted about an hour of runtime before spraying gas out of the weep holes in the side... Not sure if there is any better alternatives available or not..

davidfite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully it's finally solved. I got a new pump ($20 at advanced auto) and noticed that the new pump has a spring under the lever. The old one has a spring but it's up inside the pump, as in I think it broke or got pushed up inside or something. The lever on the old one would not operate. I can operate the new one. Put the pump on and could NOT get it to feed gas at all. Tried running it with starting fluid, still nothing. Took the supply line off and put it in a can of gas and it fired right up. Put the supply line back on the gas tank and it worked. So not sure why it was having such a hard time priming or whatever but after that it seems to be fixed.

JD1973

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy 1/2 stepside
Engine Size
how old is the fuel? Gas does go bad and can gum up your fuel pump and carb. I would get a new battery and clean out the entire fuel system, including the tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke