Won't start after it warms up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harleyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Put in a 305 Chevy engine inmy dads Silverado used to belong to grandpa can start it with srater fluid no problem if you don't use it for a few days however after it warms up can't get it to start again not sure if I'm getting enough spark haven't been able to figure out what is going on am completely at a lost still think it has something to do with the distributor any help would be greatly appreciated.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So after you prime it with starting fluid, it'll run fine? And when it's warm, it won't start? I'd work the throttle after it's been run and look down the throat of the carb to make sure you're getting two healthy, consistent squirts to test fuel arrival to the carb and the accelerator pump diaphragm. I would also take the ignition control module out of the distributor and have it tested to make sure it's not failing. If you end up replacing, go with Delco. Cheapo ICMs are worthless.

82flatdeck

Reaction score
First Name
rylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
How does the starter crank? The starters on these trucks are notorious for getting hot and barely turning over once hot. Does it start fine without ether? What condition is the carb in? if not the starter I would move on to the carb needing a rebuild next. That would be my best guess for the culprite. I could be wrong but if starts and runs fine while hot I wouldn't suspect a spark issue.

Harleyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Starts right up with starting fluid did a carburetor kit on it however didn't change what looks like a diaphragm small cup with a spring around it maybe that's the problem. Think I'll also change the ignition control module had bought a brand new distributor should of put in dad didn't want it said that wasn't the problem .i think it's the carb diaphragmnow and the ignition control module

82flatdeck

Reaction score
First Name
rylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
if you are pulling the carb apart again make sure to take carb cleaner and some small pieces of welding wire or something similar and Clean out every little port. Also make sure the carb is tuned properly for that engine. I would suspect a carb issue though.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
It very well could be an issue with the diaphragm & spring... at least change the diaphragm (you can reuse the spring) because it could be "pooched" or leaking internally. I find that initially the pressure is higher anyway to compensate for cold starts but gradually comes down. I would eliminate this too. Today's fuel with ether breaks down rubber parts within our fuel systems, like hoses & diaphragms.

If it starts with ether, to me, it's pointing to a fuel issue or lack there of.

If you're getting spark either way, then the distributor is not the case.

What carb do you have? Rochester? So I can have more specific pertaining to your issue

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I too would definately suspect the diaphragm in the carb and other carb related/tuning issues. Fuel starvation for sure if starting fluid is required to start. Obviously a priming issue. Keep us posted on your findings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128