Won't Charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Let's get the choke light operation put to rest.. First, the choke light and alternator have nothing in common as far as operation goes.. When you turn the key (ignition switch) on but don't start the engine, the choke light will come on.. If the choke wire is plugged into the choke on the carburetor, when you start the engine, the choke light will go off and you should see oil pressure indicated on the oil pressure gauge.. IF the choke light does not go out and you don't see oil pressure, you have more important issues than a no charge condition.. Let us know when you have added a multimeter to your tool arsenal...
I picked up a multi meter, I did the standard alternator test, it reads 12.4v when on and 12.5 when the truck is off, basically the alternator is doing absolutey nothing. Could it be the wrong type of Alternator?

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
It's possible the alternator is bad.. Wrong type probably wouldn't bolt up and wires wouldn't just plug right in.. When you had trouble with the small 2 wire plug and had to redo it, are you certain you got the wires hooked up properly.. BTW, if nothing has been changed, the correct alternator is either an 10SI or 12SI.. They are interchangeable, the 12SI is higher output..

[EDIT]

I think you said you have gauges instead of warning lights??? The charge warning light provides resistance between the battery and terminal 1 on the alternator.. In gauge equipped vehicles, GM placed a resistor in that wire (or installed a resistor wire) to provide the necessary resistance.. The wire on terminal 2 introduces battery voltage when the ignition is on.. If continuity on either one of these wires/circuits is lost, the alternator will not charge.. Disconnect the plug and use your multimeter to read the voltage with the key on and off.. The voltage at terminal 2 should be the same as battery voltage.. Terminal 1 voltage will be slightly less.. The actual voltage read by the multimeter depends on the load placed on the resistor by the meter... If these voltages check out, your alternator is bad..

Last edited:

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
It's possible the alternator is bad.. Wrong type probably wouldn't bolt up and wires wouldn't just plug right in.. When you had trouble with the small 2 wire plug and had to redo it, are you certain you got the wires hooked up properly.. BTW, if nothing has been changed, the correct alternator is either an 10SI or 12SI.. They are interchangeable, the 12SI is higher output..
Yeah, the guy who owned the truck before me converted to a ribbed belt style, I honestly have no idea what' supposed to be in this thing. Im 99% sure I got the wires hooked up correctly, I'm thinking AutoZone gave me the wrong alternator

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Yeah, the guy who owned the truck before me converted to a ribbed belt style, I honestly have no idea what' supposed to be in this thing. Im 99% sure I got the wires hooked up correctly, I'm thinking AutoZone gave me the wrong alternator
pullies are for the most part, interchangeable.. Before you remove the alternator, go back and read my last post.. I edited it and added some information about testing...

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
IF the alternator bolted up and plugs fitted, more than likely it's not the wrong alternator.. Possibly a defect.. But go through the checks I provided.. There's always the possibility that something is amiss with the charge circuit on your truck...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ain't that the truth.. :dogpile: Seriously, Auto Zone is my very last choice for car parts...
I drive right past it to go to what used to be carquest lol although I did get wheel studs from Azone but I furnished them with the part number could you imagine how confused they would of been with.... I need rear wheel studs for a 69 Corvette for a 76 Chevy truck 12 bolt in an 87 V10 lmao

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I drive right past it to go to what used to be carquest lol although I did get wheel studs from Azone but I furnished them with the part number could you imagine how confused they would of been with.... I need rear wheel studs for a 69 Corvette for a 76 Chevy truck 12 bolt in an 87 V10 lmao
You shoulda ran with it.. They're all so gay you'd have lost the guy with "stud"...

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, with my last engine, I was like, I need some plugs for a 92 Silverado with a 69 350 with 64 327 heads. Now they don't even know what a 632 is.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Years ago when cars were large, bigger than a suburban, Buick had a huge luxury model called Electra 225... Big ol' 2 ton behemoth.. Most mechanics just referred to it as a Buick Deuce and a Quarter.. All the guys working the commercial account counters at the parts houses knew that terminology.. It's the weekend and I'm working on one.. All the parts house smart guys are home watching TV.. I call Auto Zone because it's the closest to me.. I tell the guy I'm working on a Buick Deuce and a Quarter, and he goes "Can you spell that for me?"......

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Years ago when cars were large, bigger than a suburban, Buick had a huge luxury model called Electra 225... Big ol' 2 ton behemoth.. Most mechanics just referred to it as a Buick Deuce and a Quarter.. All the guys working the commercial account counters at the parts houses knew that terminology.. It's the weekend and I'm working on one.. All the parts house smart guys are home watching TV.. I call Auto Zone because it's the closest to me.. I tell the guy I'm working on a Buick Deuce and a Quarter, and he goes "Can you spell that for me?"......
And that’s a Deuces big brother and a Duece and a half is it’s big sister right?

jam46

Reaction score
First Name
Jerome
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The alternator light is required for the alternator to work. If the light doesn't come on when the key is turned to the run position (engine off) the alternator will not charge. Even a burned out can cause this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k