Won't Charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Hi, I've got a 1986 Scottsdale with just a mess of electronical problems, the one i am trying to tackle right now is a problem with my alternator not charging, I did replace my alternator, battery and the wiring harness that connects into the alternator last week, I am not mechanically inclined so I apologize in advanced if I dont call things by the correct name sometimes, initially I replaced my alternator and battery in an attempt to fix a draw on my battery, I figured that since the battery only drained when the alternator was plugged in the problem had to be the alternator so i went and bought a new one, (there was also a buzzing when the previous alternator was plugged in) when I went to unplug the old alternator the pigtail connector just kind of disintigrated at the ends and well that was the end of that so naturally I bought a new pigtail connector harness wire. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and they all checked good, I dont really know where to go from here. Sorry for the cluster of random detail I imagine it's a bit confusing so to summarize....
*Replaced: alternator, battery, pigtail wiring harness for alternator.
*Alternator will not charge.
*Parasitic draw before replacing alternator and wire.

Any input helps!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Make sure you have a good ground between fram and engine and cab and frame.....add some it won't hurt. Do you have gauges or idiot lights? If lights does your batter light illuminate when the key is turned on? Do you still have a draw?

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
I cleaned all the grounds, the draw is gone, not sure what an idiot light is, the only light I have on my cluster that shows is the choke light. I probed the wires with a indicator light and it showed power on the red wire but not the brown/black one, the brown/black one shows when the truck is on however which I think is normal

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I cleaned all the grounds, the draw is gone, not sure what an idiot light is, the only light I have on my cluster that shows is the choke light. I probed the wires with a indicator light and it showed power on the red wire but not the brown/black one, the brown/black one shows when the truck is on however which I think is normal
An idiot light is just the general term used for dash warning lights. Does your truck have full instrumentation? Ie. Oil pressure,temp and battery voltage?

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Oh okay, yeah all the lights work and gauges so I assume the cluster is good, no warning lights show other than the choke light.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do you have a volt meter?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is the choke unplugged?

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
With a meter you can check the alternator at the back terminal and determine if it's the alternator or wiring problem.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm... Do you have good oil pressure? That choke light should go out pretty quick. There's an oil pressure switch in that circuit, but that's it.

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Hmm... Do you have good oil pressure? That choke light should go out pretty quick. There's an oil pressure switch in that circuit, but that's it.
I do need to change my oil, thanks for the input on that, any suggestiond on the Alternator?

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
With a meter you can check the alternator at the back terminal and determine if it's the alternator or wiring problem.
Okay, I'll buy a multi meter today, how would I test it?

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Let's get the choke light operation put to rest.. First, the choke light and alternator have nothing in common as far as operation goes.. When you turn the key (ignition switch) on but don't start the engine, the choke light will come on.. If the choke wire is plugged into the choke on the carburetor, when you start the engine, the choke light will go off and you should see oil pressure indicated on the oil pressure gauge.. IF the choke light does not go out and you don't see oil pressure, you have more important issues than a no charge condition.. Let us know when you have added a multimeter to your tool arsenal...

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Let's get the choke light operation put to rest.. First, the choke light and alternator have nothing in common as far as operation goes.. When you turn the key (ignition switch) on but don't start the engine, the choke light will come on.. If the choke wire is plugged into the choke on the carburetor, when you start the engine, the choke light will go off and you should see oil pressure indicated on the oil pressure gauge.. IF the choke light does not go out and you don't see oil pressure, you have more important issues than a no charge condition.. Let us know when you have added a multimeter to your tool arsenal...
The choke light goes off as soon as I start her up, thanks for the info! Headed to the store right now to get a multimeter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84