Wiring Diagrams for Factory Original Gauge Cluster with Tachometer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 / M1031
Engine Size
6.2L
Was fortunate to acquire a gauge cluster (the diesel cluster) with the 4000 rpm tachometer.

Looking to install this cluster in a 86 K30 with a 6.2 NA diesel, This is / was a M1031 military service truck.

Anyone have or know where to find the Original Wiring Diagrams for this cluster?

You must be registered for see images attach

Front View

You must be registered for see images attach

Back View

Thank You

Joseph

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If I'm reading it right, your intention is to install the tachometer equipped cluster into a diesel powered truck (and that truck is an M1031) - correct?

I just looked through all my CUCV technical manuals and could find no reference to a tachometer in any service/repair/parts sections. Also checked the schematics sections - none of the wiring diagrams had any indication that these truck were equipped with tachometers. I can't say for sure if this applies to the M1031 - all my CUCV manuals are broken down into two vehicles types; M1010 & all except M1010.

Connecting a tachometer to a diesel engine is not as easy as it is with a gas powered engine. This is due to the lack of any pulsed electrical signal - which any tach requires to provide a variable indication of engine speed.

The fuel/air mixture in the combustion chamber of a diesel engine is ignited by heat of compression. No spark is used.

With a gas powered engine, the F/A mixture is ignited by a timed spark. The frequency of that spark varies with with engine speed. So if the trigger lead of a tach is connected to the primary ignition circuit, that pulsed voltage signal provides the tach with an accurate indication of RPM.

So, since a diesel has no pulsed ignition source for the tach to tap into (to sense engine speed), things become more involved. The required trigger signal must be generated in some other manner.

To run a tach off a diesel requires the installation of an additional component - one that will generate a 12 VDC signal that approximates engine speed. AFAIK, there are three commonly used methods to do this:

1. Locate an OEM vacuum pump that is equipped with an internal tach drive - very rare.

2. Install a Hall Effect type sensor that can track the rotational speed of an external component (e.g. the harmonic balancer or the flywheel/flexplate)

3. I believe that there are alternators available that can generate a pulsed output. Problem is they were only made available in later model trucks and to get an accurate indication of engine speed requires some involved modification.

This is just what I know (or think I know) - and should not be taken too seriously. I sincerely hope that someone else - that knows more than I - has a better way to install your tach.

BTW - when you have some way to power the tach come back and someone will provide the wiring diagrams for you.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I believe that gauge cluster came out of a medium duty truck. isn't that an air pressure gauge in the lower left position? anyhoo the only factory diesel tachs I have heard of came in the medium duty trucks. c-60s and such. the alternators for these trucks had a tach tap. highdesertranger

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
btw do you want to sell it? highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics